Clicking "Apply Now" opens the link in a new window.
How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required; the cover letter must be Page 1 of your resume. The letter should:
(1) Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position
(2) Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position
(3) Provide your current or ending salary
Starting salary may vary depending on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
Student Life is committed to the education and development of the whole student in a diverse campus community. Through our facilities, programs, and services Student Life engages the academic, social and personal growth of our students. We are dedicated to serving students from every school, college, and division and at each degree level, from undergraduate to doctoral and professional. The social justice work of Student Life is embedded through many units across the division. Specifically, the Office of Multi-Ethnic Student Affairs, The Program on Intergroup Relations and the Spectrum Center provide education, advocacy, and engagement via the lens of justice. These units who are focused on social change through development of self, collaboration with others, and commitment to citizenship. The effort cuts across all Student Life and beyond, engaging and developing key partnerships. The effort is guided by a set of learning outcomes and informed by an integrative learning pedagogy.
As a team, we are hiring a Communications & Public Relations Specialist to serve our multiple units; the Office of Multi-Ethnic Student Affairs, The Program on Intergroup Relations and the Spectrum Center provide education, advocacy, and engagement via the lens of justice. This position is charged with developing, maintaining, and implementing data-driven plans around marketing, communications, and social media that will increase programmatic awareness, visibility and connectivity amongst students, staff, faculty, and alumni within each unit as well as across the campus community. This position is responsible for supervising student staff.
Public Relations and Communications (50%)
- Develop, coordinate, and evaluate strategic plans around marketing and branding for each unit.
- Create and maintain standard operating procedures for unit communications processes.
- Identify and implement appropriate processes and platforms to enhance unit communications.
- Provide content expertise and professional coaching on issues related to communications, public relations and social media.
- Write for different audiences (donors, general public, parents, students, general audiences, etc.) and provide unit staff with best practices for professional communication.
- Develop multi-platform communication responses to urgent and emerging issues impacting the campus community in coordination with the unit's leadership.
- Identify, implement, and train units on technological and organizational tools that aid in efficient and effective internal and external communications.
- Liaison with Student Life Marketing and Student Life Technology
- Provide unit leads with periodic reports of the effectiveness of communications efforts and strategies for improvement.
- Work with Student Life Technology Solutions to develop and manage CRM dashboard.
- Elevate social justice education across campus and nationally through effective storytelling and promotion.
- Work with units to design and distribute annual reports.
Web and Technology (30%)
- Coordinate social media strategies, policies, and best practices.
- Provide units with oversight and guidance of social media efforts such as Facebook, Twitter, Blogging, etc.
- Develop, manage, and deliver engaging and useful content for specific unit websites.
- Maintain best practices for the effective use of communications platforms and assist staff in using the platforms (webinars, podcasts, etc.)
- Research, develop, and support platforms for remote engagement including Marketing Cloud, Canvas, Google Sites, Zoom, etc.
- Support video and audio recording/editing needs for celebrations, podcasts, events, and educational training.
Alumni Stewardship and Development (20%)
- Collect the narratives of alumnx and the impacts of donors to elevate awareness and increase giving.
- Implement strategies to maintain communication between the units’ alumni, staff, faculty and students.
- Coordinate with Student Life Development to develop alumni outreach and response materials.
- Develop and drive annual fundraising campaign efforts.
- Bachelor's Degree required in business, communications, information science, or related field.
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience communicating to audiences around diverse cultural topics.
- Expertise in developing and implementing methods of social media and electronic communications for a department or organization.
- Experience organizing multiple priorities by developing and leading an intentional agenda for emerging and ongoing needs.
- Experience in integrating these methods into a website and other forms of communication.
- Strong aptitude for learning new technologies and teaching others how to use them
- Demonstrated self-starter with excellent organizational, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a variety of constituents (staff, faculty, students and diverse groups).
- Written and verbal communication skills (presentations, training, newsletters, social media, etc.).
- Ability to communicate effectively from an inclusive lens with sensitivity to the style of justice oriented units.
- Ability to manage projects from conception to implementation.
- Savvy with social media, website management, video production, and electronic communication platforms.
- Ability to work collaboratively with multiple constituents and work with cross-functional units.
- Ability to lead units in understanding best practices in public relations and communication.
- Understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion as outlined by the university.
This role may have reporting obligations under Title IX and Clery.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.