How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery has an opening for an experienced, self-motivated, team orientated Medical Assistant. This role will be to provide skilled support and work collaboratively with other members of the South Main Orthopaedic Surgery Team
This position is located in the South Main Orthopaedic Clinic that supports the Foot/ankle and Hand services. The successful candidate will be required to actively participate in the department’s Lean initiatives, Service Excellence programs, maintain M-learning compliance, specific procedure competencies and knowledge of regulatory agency requirements
You will be responsible for capturing an accurate and detailed description of a patient encounter in the provider’s words in the EMR (Electronic Medical Record). Manage an average of three patients per hour, and a minimum of four patients, during peak times. Facilitate diagnostic tests and referrals to medical specialists. This position will retrieve existing information from the patient’s chart, as well as prior medical history and print pertinent information for providers. Supplies or instruments will need to be retrieved, as requested by the provider. This position will also entail escorting patients to other areas within the clinic when needed. Assist with training of newly hired Medical Assistant.
Other tasks will include:
- Entering x-ray/PT orders
- Rooming patients (utilizing an electronic medical record)
- Supporting in-clinic procedures
- Scribing as needed (see highlighted above)
- Suture/staple removal
- Assist with injections
- Limited casting and splinting
- Wound care
- Stocking rooms
- Perform scheduled infection control maintenance of patient care items and equipment
- Outside imaging processing
- Fitting off the shelf durable medical equipment
- In addition, this position will retrieve prior medical history, print pertinent information for providers as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Graduation from a Medical Assistant program or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Moderate standing/walking, as well as, lifting, positioning, pushing and/or transferring patients.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work well within a team setting.
- Communicates professionally and effectively.
- Demonstrates active listening, written, verbal, and information technology skills.
- Effective time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to take direction and receive feedback.
Associate: 1-3 years of experience.
Assistant: 0-1 year of experience.
Previous experience working with MiChart/Epic care/Cadence as well as knowledge of University policies and procedures is helpful
6:45am – 5:15 pm (Rotating 8 hour shifts - may vary dependent upon clinical needs)
Monday – Friday (with the exception of meetings or coverage when necessary. We utilize flex scheduling to off-set hours worked in excess of 8 hours in any one day)
South Main Orthopaedic Surgery, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Clinic
2098 S. Main St. Ann Arbor, MI 48103
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.