How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Excellent opportunity to get involved in the exciting and very important area of diabetes and metabolism research.
We are looking for motivated applicants who are interested in joining a research team engaged in medically relevant and fast-paced research. If you are interested in a stimulating experience with career growth potential this might the position for you
The laboratory is part of a large Diabetes and Obesity Research Center at the University of Michigan with excellent long-term career development opportunities.
Our laboratory uses sophisticated mouse models, cell based models and cutting-edge technology to examine the development of diabetes mellitus and its complications.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- Retirement Savings Opportunities
- Biological research technician duties (80-90% of time) may include:
- Management of mouse husbandry and genotyping
- In vivo mouse metabolic experimentation
- Mammalian cell culture
- Basic molecular biology techniques (plasmid preparation, cloning, mutagenesis, immunoblots, PCR, RT-qPCR)
- Targeted genome editing or manipulation (CRISPR-Cas9 system)
- Chromatin immunoprecipitation of histone marks and transcription factors (ChIP-Seq)
- Next-generation and RNA sequencing library preparation and data production
- Adeno-associated virus and Lentivirus production and use for genetic manipulation of cell lines
- Assisting in coordinating large complex and multifaceted experiments
- Assisting research staff, interacting with staff from other laboratories and training new research staff and students, as necessary.
- Other duties (10-20% of time) will include:
- Oversee and maintain condition and cleanliness of the lab, including instrument maintenance- Coordinate service when necessary
- Scientific and administrative record-keeping and electronic database management
- Data analysis, statistical analysis, graphical representation
- All work and data must be meticulously recorded and organized
This is an excellent opportunity to become involved in research with high impact that bears the potential to change the way diabetes mellitus is recognized and treated.
The position is a full time position (8 hours starting at approximately 8:30 am/9am) and requires a high degree of responsibility in completing tasks in a timely manner.
Biological research requires flexibility in hours, as well as occasional extra hours as required by the particular work/experiments. Occasional weekend work may be required based on the experimental requirements.
The applicant should be highly motivated towards a career in biological research and medicine, detail-oriented and methodical. It is essential that the candidate is able to work as part of a diverse research team.
The ideal candidate is good at multi-tasking, superior time management skills and has strong interpersonal and communication skills, and importantly: intellectually passionate and able to display scientific curiosity and initiative.
Master’s Degree and 1-3 years or relevant laboratory experience is required.
Bachelor’s Degree plus professional experience or Masters’s degree in Biological Sciences
At least 3 years experience in research laboratory work.
Candidates should have experience with handling laboratory mice including mouse husbandry and genotyping.
Candidates should have experience with molecular biology techniques (Plasmid cloning, PCR, Western-immunoblot, gel imaging - preferred) and be comfortable working with mice, cell culture systems and microscopy.
Superior organizational, time-management and multitasking skills are required as well as proficiency in using standard computer software (MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Prism GraphPad). A keen interest in using modern technology and willing to learn to work with new technical devices are highly desirable. Technical skills related to the use of modern laboratory equipment (microscopes, plate readers etc) will be an asset.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.