How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Managing Editor of the Michigan Times student newspaper is responsible for assisting in day-to-day management of the newspaper, while also assuming key editorial duties.
- Assist the Editor-in-Chief in all matters arising.
- Edit written content and working with staff writers to ensure outstanding writing and journalism.
- Oversee the content, production and publication of the M-Times Insider, the newspaper’s podcast, in conjunction with the Editor-in-Chief.
- Assist the Editor-in-Chief in the hiring process of writers.
- Develop marketing strategies/expectations, as well as online stories.
- Assist with creation and posting of content on all social media platforms.
- Submit articles for publication.
- Manage the office’s technology, including camera check-outs, ITS, etc.
- Attend monthly Student Publications Board meetings to contribute to on-going discussions about the operation of the newspaper.
- Weekly duties include: editing stories for AP style and journalism ethics, fact checking, managing the improvement of the writers and assisting the Editor-in-Chief.
- Applicants must be enrolled in at least 6 credits at the University of Michigan-Flint.
- Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher at the time of application.
- Previous experience writing and/or editing for a school newspaper or other publication is preferred.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of three calendar days. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.