Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together improve our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
You will play an integral role within our institution, and are important to providing the highest quality service to patients and their loved ones. We are eager to assist you in becoming a well-rounded employee and individual, and to help you advance in your career. Don’t hesitate – join our team today, and help us provide remarkable care for our Urology patients.
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings
- 75% Tuition Reimbursement
- Growth opportunities to higher seniority positions
- Management that provides quality training and direction
- Direct communication and partnership with Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants and Physicians
- Exposure to many Specialty Care Departments
This position will support Adult Urology patients at Michigan Medicine.
Our Surgery Schedulers are the main point of contact for our patients, families and referring offices who need a surgical procedure. We expect our schedulers to provide exceptional customer service with every interaction. In joining this department, you will contribute to the growth and expansion of this nationally ranked program. Not only will you schedule complex urological procedures such as Pubovaginal Slings, Ureteroscopy, Cystectomy, Bladder Augmentation, Transurethral Resection of Prostate you will also gain vast experience working within MiChart. During your time working in Urology, you will build strong relationships with the providers you support. We are excited to help you grow your skills!
- High School Diploma or GED.
- 3 – 4 years of experience.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Prior experience performing complex scheduling.
- Familiarity with obtaining medical records or professional medical billing.
- Financial counseling experience for healthcare patients.
Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work well within a team setting.
- Communicates effectively.
- Demonstrates active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills.
- Coordinate preoperative history and physical appointments and testing.
- Work with the physicians on adherence to surgery scheduling procedures.
- Provide support to Urology physicians, scheduling return and post-operative visits for patients.
- Counsel patients regarding hospital and department policies and procedures regarding surgeries.
- Schedule and coordinate outside referrals and ancillary services/testing.
- Utilize OP Time Scheduling System and Outlook Multi-Calendar to schedule surgeries.
- Utilize “First Come First Serve” (FCFS) Rules of Engagement when scheduling patients in First Come First Service operating room time.
- Actively monitor surgeons block time utilization to ensure Urology is meeting the utilization and usage targets of 80% or greater.
- Verify that patient admission entry was recorded into the system.
- Adhere to non- Michigan Medicine surgery scheduling guidelines (i.e: St. Joseph Mercy Chelsea).
- Cover for fellow surgery schedulers and understand division specific needs.
- Schedule some Urology Pre-pay procedures.
- Review insurance coverage prior to scheduling surgery. Work closely with Inpatient Utilization team and Referral and Authorization coordinators to ensure coverage and prior authorization are obtained.
The facility is open 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM Monday through Friday.
Taubman Health Center
Located on the main medical campus, our offices are centered in the heart of the department. We have easy access to faculty and staff. Several parking options are available for your convenience. Once fully trained we offer a hybrid model where schedulers can work from home and in the office.
As part of the orientation training process, you will have extensive MiChart training, basic insurance training and active training with current surgery schedulers.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on you upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.