How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Department of Aerospace Engineering at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor is seeking seasoned applicants to fill the public relations and senior writer position. The position is temporary, part-time at 20 hours per week for one year. The individual selected will be responsible for maintaining Aerospace Engineering's public image through public relations programs such as media coverage, public speeches, and content writing for online promotion through advertising and web presence. This position will research, write, and promote a wide variety of Aerospace Engineering stories related to activities within the department, to maximize the department’s public position and reputation with prospective students, alumni, academic and industry communities, donors, foundations, and other audiences. This position will play a pivotal role in enhancing awareness and shaping positive perceptions of the department. This role reports directly to the Department chair.
Who We Are
The University of Michigan’s Department of Aerospace Engineering is the first collegiate aeronautics program in the United States—started in 1914, with more than 6,000 aerospace engineers who graduated over the past 100 years. It currently has 19 staff members, 29 tenured and tenure-track faculty members, and approximately 354 undergraduate and 182 graduate students.
The Department of Aerospace Engineering is committed to: excellence, leadership, and collaboration in research and education; to service-based leadership at the Institute, national, and international levels; to a passion for air and space vehicles and systems, the technologies that enable them, and the missions they fulfill; and finally to the personal and professional development of its faculty, staff, and students.
College of Engineering’s Mission Statement:
Michigan Engineering’s vision is to be the world’s preeminent college of engineering serving the common good. This global outlook, leadership focus, and service commitment permeate our culture. Our vision is supported by a mission and values that, together, provide the framework for all that we do. Information about our vision, mission, and values can be found at: strategicvision.engin.umich.edu/.
The University of Michigan has a storied legacy of commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). The Michigan Engineering component of the University’s comprehensive, five-year, DEI strategic plan—along with updates on our programs and resources dedicated to ensuring a welcoming, fair and inclusive environment—can be found at: www.engin.umich.edu/...lege/about/diversity.
- Meet with faculty, students and staff regularly to publicize their activities
- Write compelling feature articles highlighting faculty and graduate student research
- Pitch and press release writing
- Assist graduate students with writing research stories for public dissemination
- Develop strategies, communications plans, campaigns and messaging
- Manage and build media lists
- Generate media coverage
- Communication with clients including conference calls
- Create and maintain professional relationships with media contacts
- Develop and maintain publicity tracking system
- A college degree in journalism or a relevant field.
- At least 7 years of relevant experience.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines
- Exceptional writing skills that demonstrate the degree to which the person can excel as a writer (portfolio, examples from past etc.)
- Demonstrable experience in creating different types of written stories and content across a variety of marketing channels such as interactive web-based stories, presentations, blogs, magazine articles, newsletters, annual reports, captions, social media, and digital marketing, etc.
- A strong interest in aerospace engineering topics with the ability to effectively communicate technical information to an academic and general audience.
- Outstanding writing, organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional research skills.
- Creativity with language and a demonstrated ability to convey powerful messages and stories.
- Exceptional ability to work collaboratively in a complex academic environment.
Rate of pay will be determined by qualifications and level of experience but will range from $25-28 per hour.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The application review process will be done on a rolling basis so applicants are encouraged to apply early. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.