How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should include salary requirements, address your specific interest in the position, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Note: This is a 3 year term limited position with the possibility of renewal depending on funding.
The Center for Academic Innovation at the University of Michigan is seeking a qualified Software Developer to become a core contributor to the development team for the Center for Academic Innovation’s new Spire initiative, a competency based learning tool being developed in partnership with the College of Engineering, Medical School, and Ross School of Business. In this role you will leverage modern technologies, languages and approaches. You will work with behavioral scientists, researchers and technical teams utilizing a wide range of exciting new technologies with a focus on the initialization, improvement and iteration needed to advance high-priority software innovations. Be part of a dynamic multi-disciplinary team that focuses on creativity and impact; automation and iteration.
Who We Are
The Center for Academic Innovation is a strategic priority for the University of Michigan. Through curricular innovation, tools for learning, and educational data and research, the center aims to shape the future of learning and redefine the role of the public research university by extending academic excellence, expanding public purpose, and ending educational privilege.
Our preferred future includes:
- An open model for pre-college learning and preparation that broadens access and enhances participation
- A personalized, rigorous, and inclusive model for residential learning grounded in learning analytics and experimentation
- A flexible and networked model for global and lifelong learning that embraces the evolution of a more permeable university
- A participatory and inclusive model for public engagement that accelerates bilateral knowledge construction and sharing
As we reimagine the global public research university and create a culture of innovation in learning, we value:
- Boldness and humility
- Creativity and process
- Risk taking and tradition
- Personalization and scale
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Learning and working in environments designed for equity and inclusivity are necessary for the U-M community to make progress on solving the problems that matter most to society. In addition to collaborating with faculty and staff on projects that explicitly focus on DEI, the Center for Academic Innovation uses inclusive design processes in all of our work. Individuals from groups historically underrepresented in higher education are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more information, please visit our website: Academic Innovation.
- Project level application development, including reviewing the work of project developers and designers
- Coordinate with QA to ensure fully tested and high quality version releases
- Maintain technical familiarity and expertise with mainstream and emerging technologies
- Work with institutional technical teams to integrate with campus systems and data
- Assist tailored content creators and research teams
- Collaborate closely with software developers, user experience designers, instructional designers, faculty, researchers, and students, across the University of Michigan
- Employ a pragmatic approach by understanding the tradeoffs between a perfect solution and a working solution
- Work closely with the team to solve problems, transfer knowledge, and develop software architecture and designs
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- At least 2 years of professional software development experience
- Experience working in a cross-functional product team
- Experience developing and deploying applications at scale
- Experience working with Ruby or Python and an associated web application framework Rails, Django or Flask.
- Ability to take design specifications and create working, valid HTML5/CSS/JS
- Experience working with relational database platforms (e.g.: PostgreSQL, MySQL, MariaDB, Oracle)
- Hold strong attention to detail and concern for information accuracy
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work well in a multicultural and collaborative environment
- Experience working with Ruby and the Rails web framework
- Experience working with Python and the Django web framework
- Experience configuring and deploying applications using Amazon Web Services
- Experience working with Docker
- Experience working with the Kubernetes container-orchestration system
- Experience collaborating with clients and end users to translate requests and problems into software solutions
- Experience working as a mentor and technical resource for more junior colleagues
- Experience developing for integration standards (SAML, LTI, OAuth2)
- Experience with third party API integrations (e.g.: Google Calendar, Canvas)
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
This is not a remote position, however, due to COVID-19, the responsibilities of this role will be performed remotely until notified.
The salary for this position will be based upon the selected candidate’s education and experience.
Excellent benefits are available, for details, see benefits.umich.edu/
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Decision Making Process
Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.