How to Apply
To be considered for this position, candidates must include a cover letter specifying their interest in and qualifications for this position. The cover letter should be the first page of your resume and uploaded as one document.
As a comprehensive performing arts school set in one of the world's finest public institutions of higher education, the School of Music, Theatre & Dance (SMTD) is engaged in the creation, practice, scholarship, and pedagogy of music, theatre, and dance. We aim to provide leadership, nationally and internationally, in all three fields. We assert and celebrate the value of the arts to the mission of the University of Michigan. Further, SMTD is committed to diversity and inclusion as a means of achieving and sustaining excellence.
We are looking for a Finance Coordinator to provide professional administrative support in the area of finance. Candidates for this position must be prepared to take on a broad range of financial responsibilities, handling all transactions with accuracy, integrity, and efficiency. You will have experience working collaboratively with a broad and diverse community, including faculty, staff, and students.
NOTE: This position will start in a remote setting but may change as the University moves staff back to campus.
Reporting to: Direct Report to Finance Manager
- Process p-card, travel and expense, and voucher payments; scan receipts and supporting documentation, contact vendors, and follow-up on missing/incorrect requests.
- Create purchase order requisitions and pay vendors when needed.
- Pay guest artists; set up vendor ID's; ensure international payments/wire transfers are handled.
- Prepare JEs and SUB's, collect appropriate supporting documentation.
- Provide financial and administrative support to units without a designated Administrative Assistant. This may include assisting with organizing conferences, arranging hotels, transportation, preparing student cash cards.
- Work with UM Shared Services Center (SSC) to process PeoplePays, reimbursements, Concur reports, and research payment discrepancies/issues/questions.
- Provide financial training to faculty and staff. Stay up-to-date with new processes within UM, SSC, and SMTD. Attend meetings between SMTD and SSC.
- Maintain ad hoc and monthly reports of unit activity.
- Query and download monthly financial data for the School.
- Compare current data with existing projections as data is entered. Flag variances and provide summary of differences.
- Scan for emergence of surpluses or deficits; analyze and suggest causes and remedies.
- Respond to faculty/staff requests for summaries of financial activity.
- Assist faculty with understanding financial reports.
- Help with data base projects involving financial information.
- Reconcile statements of accounts
- Use M-Pathways, Business Objects and other University financial systems to support financial transactions and reporting activities. Investigate and resolve financial activity issues.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Finance Manager
- Bachelor's degree.
- Two + years of experience supporting finance team in a higher education setting
- Computer and software proficiency; Microsoft Excel knowledge
- Complete complex assignments quickly and with a high degree of quality and accuracy; respond with appropriate urgency to situations that arise and solve difficult problems
- Experience handling sensitive information
- Experience working with individuals from diverse communities and cultures
- Experience with University of Michigan policies and systems
Benefits at the University of Michigan
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
A pre-employment background check must be conducted before a candidate may receive a firm offer of employment to a staff position at the University of Michigan.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.