Clicking "Apply Now" opens the link in a new window.
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline your skills and related experience
We are excited for you to consider joining our growing team.
The Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR, https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/about/) is part of the Institute for Social Research (ISR) at the University of Michigan. The consortium maintains the world’s largest archive of social science data with 10,000+ studies relating to education, aging, criminal justice, substance abuse, terrorism, and more. A global leader in data science, ICPSR also supports continuing education in research design, statistics, and data analysis.
ICPSR operates a diverse environment across on-premise and cloud systems, with an emphasis on security. We are looking for an experienced DevOps Engineer with a security bent to help us continue on our journey to systems automation.
You will report to the DevOps team lead in Computing & Network Services.
- Provide technical leadership to a team of DevOps engineers and collaborate with a team of architects to set future technical direction.
- Securely implement and operate a Kubernetes-based container orchestration platform hosting application containers
- Securely implement and operate Linux servers, Windows virtual desktops, VMWare and AWS environments, and automate their builds and configuration
- Securely build and administer Oracle / Postgres RDS databases
- Document your work and the computing environment, both for internal use and to satisfy regulatory requirements
- Specify and design network firewall rulesets and communicate with UM networking team for implementation
- Support software development efforts
- On-call availability, as part of a scheduled weekly rotation (25-33%), is required and may involve working during non-business hours and on weekends.
- Other tasks as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, MIS, or a similar relevant field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience documenting infrastructure design and implementation details
- 7 or more years demonstrated experience with operations of UNIX/Linux systems, UNIX/Linux performance monitoring and security techniques, including UNIX/Linux system security vulnerabilities and mitigations.
- 2 or more years demonstrated experience with operations of production services in AWS, GCP, or Azure, and container technology including Kubernetes and Docker.
- Experience with systems automation tools such as Terraform, Helm, Ansible, Packer, or Puppet, and programming/scripting in Python, bash, Powershell, or other high-level programming languages.
- Experience with CI/CD / GitOps tools such as Gitlab, CDK8s, Flux v2, or ArgoCD.
- CISSP or related certification and experience securing and documenting systems subject to a regulatory regime such as FISMA, HIPAA, SOX, or PCI
- 5 or more years of experience in operations of Windows systems, including automating the creation & maintenance of master images, application packaging, performance monitoring and security techniques, UE-V, AD, GPOs
- Experience with VMWare Horizon VDI, AWS Workspaces, and/or Azure Virtual Desktop
- DBA experience with Oracle, MS SQL and/or Postgres
- Experience with metrics collection and observability tools such as Prometheus, Grafana, Fluentd, Kibana, Elasticsearch, Logstash, or Beats.
Part of this job may require some work outside normal working hours to analyze and correct critical problems that arise in ICPSR's 24 hours per day operational environment.
This will be filled at the lead level salary range of $95,000-110,000. Candidates with lesser experience are encouraged to apply and may be considered if the primary goal is not met. Lesser-experienced candidates will be reviewed at a senior level salary range of $80,000-95,000.
Institute for Social Research job openings are posted for a minimum of fourteen (14) calendar days. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
We are currently working remotely due to the ongoing pandemic. This is expected to continue until Fall 2021. When face-to-face work resumes, this position will require being on-site at our offices in Ann Arbor. If relocation is required, we will allow for reasonable time and flexibility to make necessary arrangements.
Benefits at the University of Michigan
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and any eligible family members and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting upon meeting eligibility requirements
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life, dental, and vision insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
- Access to multiple learning resources
The Institute for Social Research at the University of Michigan wants to employ a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the university, and to ground our research in varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.