How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline your skills and related experience.
We are excited for you to consider joining our growing team.
The Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) is part of the Institute for Social Research (ISR) at the University of Michigan. The consortium maintains the world’s largest archive of social science data with 10,000+ studies relating to education, aging, criminal justice, substance abuse, terrorism, and more. A global leader in data science, ICPSR also supports continuing education in research design, statistics, and data analysis.
We are looking for a Lead Full-Stack Software Engineer to join our Computing and Network Services group. Our team maintains several software products and provides data curation, archival, and publication solutions to a growing user community of social science researchers, students, instructors, and policymakers. We are modernizing our technology stack and rebuilding some of our data access control products using containerized Spring Boot microservices and AWS cloud services. If you love architecting and writing secure code with automated test cases in an agile, test-driven development framework, and can coach others in best practices, we want to talk to you!
You will report to the Computing & Networking Services associate director.
- Analyze user story requirements, design software modules, and document design specifications (20%)
- Provide technical leadership, make architectural decisions, perform code reviews, coach junior team members (25%)
- Develop secure code with automated test cases in an agile framework (40%)
- Work with the team in agile ceremonies such as stand-up and user story estimation meetings (15%)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science / Engineering, or a related field
- 7 or more years experience developing secure applications with Java, Spring framework, including Spring Boot
- 5 or more years experience with SQL, ORM technologies such as Hibernate or JPA, and relational databases such as Oracle, Postgres
- 5 or more years experience developing secure REST APIs
- 3 or more years experience collaborating within an agile software development team
- 3 or more years experience with test automation using tools such as JUnit, Jest
- Experience with full-stack web development with NodeJS, frameworks such as React, NextJS
- Experience with cloud services, and containerization using Docker and Kubernetes
- Master’s degree in Computer Science / Engineering, or a related field
- Experience with behavior-driven / test-driven development, CI/CD automation
- Familiarity with social sciences and data archives
- Experience writing acceptance tests using Cucumber, Robot framework, or similar frameworks
- Experience with AWS cloud services, including serverless services
- Experience with graph data stores such as Neo4j, Amazon Neptune, and query languages such as GraphQL
- Experience with indexers such as Elasticsearch, Solr
- Familiarity with machine learning, Python, Jupyterhub
- Experience migrating legacy systems to a modern technology stack
Part of this job may require some work outside normal working hours to analyze and correct critical problems that arise in ICPSR's 24 hours per day operational environment.
This may be filled at the lead level salary range of $100,000 - 115,000. Candidates with lesser experience are encouraged to apply and may be considered if the primary goal is not met. Lesser-experienced candidates will be reviewed at the senior level salary range of $90,000-105,000.
Benefits at the University of Michigan
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, the University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and any eligible family members, and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting upon meeting eligibility requirements
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Vision, dental, and life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
- Tuition reimbursement
Institute for Social Research job openings are posted for a minimum of fourteen (14) calendar days. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
The Institute for Social Research at the University of Michigan wants to employ a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the university, and to ground our research in varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.