How to Apply
To be considered, a cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be the leading page of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position and
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Starting salaries will vary depending upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
Information and Technology Services (ITS) is looking for a Purchasing Coordinator to join the Purchasing & Contracts department within ITS Administration.
The role, under general supervision, has visibility to all aspects of the technology purchasing function, includ-ing managing purchasing processes such as placing orders, tracking orders, and reconciling invoices. This role also ensures purchase requests have the proper departmental authorization and co-ordinates approval of terms & condition clauses with the ITS contracting staff. This position reports to the ITS Purchasing & Contracts Manager.
WHO WE ARE
ITS supports U-M faculty, researchers, staff, and students in their use of technology to teach, learn, research, and work, and be leaders in their fields. We are dedicated to creating cohesive digital ex-periences and enabling university wide innovations by:
- Elevating the customer experience by providing proactive, laser focused customer service
- Providing appropriate IT security and privacy in an open university society, while enabling in-novation
- Supporting data-informed decision making
- Delivering intuitive research computing solutions
- Building a world-class, transformational network and reliable administrative systems
In addition, we value those that proactively solve challenges, work with a sense of urgency, and seek a collaborative and inclusive work environment.
ITS’s mission is to be trusted enablers of technology for the U-M community. ITS works together to provide cohesive digital experiences and seamless support to the U-M community. To learn more, visit: https://its.umich.edu.
WHO YOU ARE
You are energized by working with a collaborative team and industry peers to support the university mission through innovative and appropriate use of technology. You seek understanding and to tack-le projects and problems with your customers’ needs in mind. You anticipate problems and work proactively to preempt challenges and concerns, delivering increasingly relevant customer experi-ences over time. You value a culture that is rooted in mutual respect, where you can learn from dif-ferent perspectives, roles, and identities.
You have at least two (2) years of technology purchasing experience.
- Purchases materials, parts, supplies and equipment with a primary focus on technology hardware and software, and determines and applies correct university purchasing process to utilize. Ensures purchase request has the proper departmental authorization and coordinates approval of terms and condition clauses with the contracting staff. Researches and updates equipment listings and pricing for customers. Obtains and evaluates price quotes from vendors.
- Analyzes customer requirements and utilizes judgment and specifications to substitute product or vendor to meet customer requirements. Advises and consults with customers regarding product specifications and supply base issues.
- Assists the customer in understanding the purchasing policies for the organization and performs the administrative liaison role for ITS staff with U-M Technology Procurement Team. Establishes work-ing relationships with Accounts Payable and Contract Staff and maintains proactive interaction with suppliers.
- Provides back-up to other team members and is cross-commodity trained. Is work directed and re-quires little or no supervision. Maintains dialog with the finance team through meetings, reports, re-quests for problem resolution and seeks assistance for issues that cannot be resolved. Maintains team concept through the supply chain process and contributes to team meetings.
- Ensures correct product specifications and supporting documents are submitted with the online req-uisition prior to purchase order generation. Reviews and submits order to vendor via e-commerce, email, fax or phone as required and confirms ship dates. Monitors shipment and delivery dates and requests expediting items if requested. Communicates purchase exceptions with the team to re-enforce common goals and processes.
- Creates and maintains status of purchase requests via the internal database. Tracks purchas-es/inventory and confirms receipt of all product, service, deliverables, and payment of final invoic-es. Initiates corrective actions with the vendor if we experience damaged goods, mis-shipment, over/under or incorrect product shipments. Responds to both customer and vendor inquiries. Pro-vides periodic order status updates to the requestor as determined by the team, or as requested by the customer. Collects and compiles information for special initiatives as requested by manage-ment.
- Performs audits on consultant fees, travel & expense invoices for accuracy and processes pay-ments. Handles invoice problems obtaining credits, refund checks, or corrected invoices as neces-sary.
- Retains complete and accurate hardcopy records/documentation pertinent to PO or contracts in the team based file system to support order-to-receipt-to invoice reconciliation. Submits P-card trans-action report monthly via Concur.
- Demonstrates quality service and accountability in the process of: resolving incidents; and, tracking purchase orders, resulting in accurate, timely, and efficient solutions and data as evidenced by: meeting customer needs; meeting or exceeding established performance metrics; and accurate da-ta for asset management and billing.
- Proactively seeks information and utilizes analytical and creative problem solving skills along with standard processes and technologies resulting in secure and reliable connections to and use of sys-tems, applications, and infrastructure.
- Demonstrates relationship building, effective communication skills, and quality service in the process of collaborating with, supporting, advising, and educating customers and team members on the use of services, handling of sensitive data, and resolving incidents, resulting in efficient, effective, and compliant use of hardware, software, and services.
- Associates degree in a related field and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2 years of related experience procuring technology hardware & software products.
- Demonstrated skills working directly with the customer and vendor to complete the purchase.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to successfully prioritize and complete multiple tasks with-in established and changing deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute and collaborate effectively as a member of an efficient & produc-tive team.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and takes ownership of a task.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Proficient with industry standard word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
- Demonstrated ability to manage customer expectations and relationships.
- Demonstrated knowledge of online purchasing systems.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external cus-tomers in a manner that consistently meets the organization’s expectations for exemplary customer service.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and independent problem-solving skills
- Experience utilizing an industry standard enterprise purchasing & contracting system.
- Experience purchasing software licenses and maintenance renewals.
- Experience with Footprints, TeamDynamix, Google Apps and UM M-Pathways ERP.
- Ability to learn new software, understand technical information, and communicate to others using clear, concise, and user-friendly language.
This position will be filled at the Intermediate level salary range of $52,692 - $68,500 as the primary goal. The requirements listed below reflect the Intermediate level expectation. Applicants with lesser experience are encouraged to apply and may be considered if the primary goal is not met. Lesser-experienced candidates will be reviewed at an Associate salary range of $46,350 - $56,650.
This position may work with and/or support systems that maintain or process sensitive institutional data as defined by university policy. Successful candidates must comply with federal, state and local law and/or uni-versity policies or agreements that require the university to implement specific privacy and security safe-guards including, but not limited to: ITAR, EAR, HIPAA and FISMA. Responsible for protecting data and in-formation from unauthorized release or from loss, alteration or unauthorized deletion; and, following applica-ble regulations and instructions regarding access to computerized files, release of data, etc. as stated in a computer access agreement.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
Continuous sitting at a desk and/or computer when performing production support tasks. May require some over-time. Responsible for protecting data and information from unauthorized release or from loss, altera-tion, or unauthorized deletion; and, following applicable regulations and instructions regarding access to computerized files, release of data, etc. as stated in a computer access agreement which the incumbent signs.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse work-force as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan Benefits Office is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to sup-port faculty, staff and their families. Learn more about our 2:1 retirement matching, healthcare plans with nationwide coverage including prescription drug coverage, three dental plans, a vision plan, flexible spending account, well-being programs, long-term disability, automatic life insurance, general legal services, three early childhood centers, time away from work and work-life programs to promote balance. Learn more at https://hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness
- The University of Michigan is ranked the No. 3 public university in the 2020 U.S. News & World Re-port’s annual report of the nation’s best undergraduate colleges and universities.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 6 on Kiplinger’s list of Best Values in Public Colleges, again making U-M one of the nation’s best values in higher education for in-state students. The ranking highlights colleges and universities that combine outstanding education with economic value.
- For the third straight year, the University of Michigan maintained its position as the 15th top universi-ty in the world, according to the Times Higher Education World Reputation Rankings.
- The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the top U.S. public university in the QS World University Rankings for 2019-20 and ranked 21st among all institutions on the list, moving down one spot from last year in the ranking released Tuesday, 06/18/2019.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.