The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future. The University of Michigan is committed to foster learning, creativity and productivity, and to support the vigorous exchange of ideas and information, not only in the classroom but in the workplace by:
- Creating a work environment in which people treat each other with respect and dignity, regardless of roles, responsibilities or differences.
- Providing support, direction and resources enabling us to accomplish the responsibilities of our jobs and to reach the goals that are set for professional and personal growth.
• Organize and manage mouse colonies
• Animal experimentation including the phenotyping of mice such as Insulin Tolerance Tests and blood glucose measurements
• Perform biochemical and molecular analyses such as RT-qPCR and western blotting on tissue samples and tissue culture
• Section and mount samples for microscopic analysis
• Supervise undergraduates on lab chores and house-keeping
• Lab ordering and other lab management duties including the handling of safety inspections
This is a full-time position.
Highly motivated applicant with excellent multitasking and people skills.
• Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences or related field.
• Desire to become involved in research projects focusing on liver metabolism and diet or alcohol-induced liver disease.
• Prior mouse-handling experience is a plus (although not necessary).
Medical/Graduate school applicants in gap year are preferred. Strong recommendation letters are required before the interview.
40 hours a week, some weekends
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.