Clicking "Apply Now" opens the link in a new window.
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The University of Michigan (UM) University Health Service (UHS), a unit of Student Life, is a large ambulatory, multispecialty health clinic that serves a large and diverse student body of more than 45,000 students, as well as UM faculty and staff. UHS provides clinical services throughout its primary care and specialty clinics, as well as health and wellness education and promotion. UHS is committed to promoting and protecting the health of students and other members of the University community so that they achieve their educational and personal goals. Through our programs, services and partnerships, we foster lifelong learning in support of individuals' becoming active participants in their health and wellness.
UHS is currently seeking a Primary Care Physician to diagnose and treat students, faculty, staff, retirees and others in need of urgent, continuing, and preventative medical care at the UM UHS.
Actual salary commensurate with education, experience and equity factors.
Patient contact (80%)
- Participate in the evaluation, assessment and testing of possible COVID-19 patients.
- Provide clinical care in the area of specialty for a wide scope of clinical practice, which includes adolescents, beginning at age 10, to the elderly.
- Evaluate and examine patients to determine the nature and extent of illness.
- Order or execute various tests, analyses, and x-rays to provide information on condition of patients.
- Analyze reports, findings of tests and examinations in order to diagnose condition and communicate this information to patients.
- Proficiently interpret plain x-rays and ECGs.
- Administer and prescribe a spectrum of treatments, including, but not limited to the performance of minor office surgery, provision of minor trauma care and provision of office orthopedic care within the Primary Care clinics.
- Effectively counsel patients on diet and lifestyle modifications relevant to prevention of disease.
- Provide guidance, counseling and management of a variety of mental health problems and, when applicable, refer patients to a psychiatrist or other mental health specialists.
- Provide routine and urgent gynecologic care when granted privileges by the Medical Director or Designee; including, but not limited to the provision of birth control counseling and medication (including emergency contraception), diagnosis and treatment of gynecologic complaints, and the interpretation of cytology reports.
- Extend the knowledge of UHS clinicians by providing consultation service for complex patients when applicable to training received.
- Provide after-hours and weekend coverage on a rotating basis.
- Maintain compliance with billing and coding practices.
- Participate in the management of on-site medical emergency procedures.
Administrative/non-patient contact (20%)
- Provide indirect patient care via phone calls, patient portal, and other modes of communication.
- Attend and actively participate in on-site Continuing Medical Education activities and other outside CME activities relevant to specific area of training.
- Participate in the administrative functioning of UHS through various committees, work-groups or special projects as directed by the Medical Director or designee.
- Complete regular peer review and quality improvement activities as coordinated through the Primary Care clinics and the Quality Improvement Committee.
- Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy degree
- Board certified or Board eligible in Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, or other comparable training program
- Satisfactory completion of an accredited residency program
- Possession of a State and Federal Narcotics and Controlled Substance license
- Possession of a current license to practice medicine in the State of Michigan
- At least 2 years experience in ambulatory clinic primary care setting.
- Minimum two years of clinical experience after the completion of a residency program
- Demonstrated expertise in an area relevant to the UHS scope of practice (e.g. adolescent health, office-based surgical procedures, sports medicine, women's health)
- Experience with office-based surgical procedures
- Experience in office-based orthopedic care
- Proficiency using MiChart or EPIC electronic health record
- Experience with contraception education/prescriptions, including emergency contraception
- Bi-lingual or multi-lingual skills
Ability to move through 4-story building as needed.
Hours/week: 40 hours per week
Shift/Hours: Regular daytime hours, with occasional evening and weekend expectations. Start and finish times TBD.
Location: University Health Service, 207 Fletcher Street, Ann Arbor 48109
Provide care via telehealth services as appropriate
Position Criteria (Candidate Characteristics)
- Demonstrated ability to work from a perspective of cultural humility with people from diverse populations (e.g. nationality, race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, ability, class, and other social identities).
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the demonstrated ability to develop strong relationships, positively represent UHS across diverse communities, and interact effectively with both health care and non-health care professionals.
- Demonstrated experience with risk assessment and safety planning.
- Excellent critical thinking and judgement.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication and negotiation skills.
- Knowledge of the importance of consent, confidentiality, patient autonomy, and client privacy.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
Relocation will not be offered for this position.
This role may have reporting obligations under Title IX and Clery.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.