How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future.
Who We Are
The Departments of Biophysics and Chemistry has a long tradition of research excellence in the sciences at the University of Michigan. We strive to support our students and faculty on the front lines of learning and research and to be a steward for our planet, our community, and our campus.
Achieving these goals cannot happen without the dedication and talents of our outstanding staff that play a vital role in success of the department. Some just want to do a job, but there are those who want to work with the Leaders & Best. If you value team over self, embrace collaboration, are accountable, flexible and optimistic, then the Departments of Biophysics and Chemistry is the right fit for you.
- Provide a high level of events and communication support to the Departments of Biophysics and Chemistry for seminars, colloquia, guest lectures, and special events. You will work closely with faculty and students on a variety of seminars and communication projects. Events may be live or virtual.
- Lead the social media strategy for both units on LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, etc.; support units by posting information on various social media outlets; develop long-term social media goals for both units.
- Coordinate with guest seminar speakers and contributors regarding itineraries, travel, hotel arrangements, and hosted meals.
- Mange publicity for unit-level events by creating and distributing promotional materials including coordination with campus and local media outlets.
- Prepare and distribute unit event updates via department events system, email, social media, and print media; create templates for event posters, emails, e-newsletters, and brochures; coordinate production of electronic and print materials with outside vendors.
- Collaborate with LSA DMC on unit events and/or activities involving potential and existing donors or prospective students.
- Develop budget projections for events and track related expenditure activity to unit targets; assist accounting, budgeting, and related fiscal activities for events; maintain and reconcile event budgets; monitor event expenditures.
- Plan, solicit and edit content for newsletters, website, and promotional materials. Maintain and refresh website content on a regular basis.
- Coordinate with Student Services staff and Executive Secretary to create and distribute annual donor engagement letters.
- Coordinate with Chief Administrators to implement short and long-term development objectives. Coordinate the use of facilities, services, and/or equipment for events.
- Collaborate with LSA Finance Business Office to process reimbursements for guest lecturers and to process honoraria.
Associate’s degree in Business Administration, Marketing or Public Relations with one or more years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Ability to work quickly and efficiently, handle last-minute changes; work under pressure and meet deadlines; demonstrate ability to exercise good judgement; and problem-solve. Meticulous attention to detail; superior organizational skills; use sound judgment and diplomacy. The ability and desire to work independently, be a self-starter, and show initiative. Must have excellent interpersonal, verbal communication, written communication, and collaborative skills. Demonstrated ability to initiate projects and carry them through to completion as well as the ability to pivot between competing tasks. Prior customer service experience coupled with demonstrated ability to listen and deal warmly and empathetically with a wide range of people required. Must be able to work in a fast-paced team-oriented environment and have the ability to balance and prioritize multiple projects and demands at once, and be proactive in seeking supervisory assistance when needed. Skilled in working with the Microsoft Suite, Google applications, and Adobe Acrobat, especially Adobe Creative Suite.
Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or Public Relations preferred. Previous experience with video/videography and social media strategy.
Coverage needed during office hours of 8 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday.
The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitments to serve the diverse people of Michigan, fulfill the College’s Guiding Principles, and sustain the excellence of LSA.
To learn more about diversity, equity, and inclusion visit http://lsa.umich.edu/lsa/about/diversity--equity-and-inclusion.html
To learn more about LSA’s Guiding Principles visit http://lsa.umich.edu/lsa/faculty-staff/human-resources/lsa-staff-guiding-principles.html
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.