How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The University of Michigan Shared Services Center (U-M SSC) is a customer service organization focused on providing user-friendly and cost effective administrative services to the university community. The SSC offers key financial and human resource transaction services to customers through consistent processes and enabling technology.
Reporting to the Service Delivery Manager, the Travel & Expense Services Supervisor actively directs all staff processing travel and expense transactions completed by the U-M SSC. This supervisor in particular will be responsible for supervising all processing activities within Travel & Expense. The Travel & Expense Processing Services Supervisor should provide visible and effective leadership to its staff in a manner that ensures operational excellence and quality customer service. This role directly manages a team comprised of 10-15 staff.
The Travel & Expense Processing Supervisor is responsible for establishing the objectives to be achieved by the Travel & Expense Processing Team and managing the team's daily operational performance. In partnership with the Service Delivery Manager, this individual provides direction to its staff and is expected to uphold a culture that encourages continuous improvement and professional development. The Travel & Expense Services Supervisor will regularly coach and develop his/her staff to assure a team-based and collaborative environment.
The Travel & Expense Services Supervisor is expected to support SSC leadership in promoting a positive and trustworthy reputation for the SSC through consistent and efficient service. Additionally, this individual will be focused on implementing appropriate business processes and internal controls as deemed fit while operating within the SSC's governance structure.
- Ensure team compliance with applicable University of Michigan policies
- Report on and analyze established metrics measuring team's progress, meeting regularly with respective Service Delivery Manager to share findings and ensure alignment
- Manage daily team workload to ensure completion of all responsibilities
- Answer employee questions and resolve escalations as they arise
- Meet regularly with travel and expense staff to provide coaching and feedback; write and deliver annual performance reviews
- Plan and coordinate recruiting, selection, onboarding and integration of new team members
- Implement continuous improvement initiatives, system enhancements, policy changes, and other special projects on an ad hoc basis
- Coordinate and facilitate onboarding and process improvements for new and current customers using the T&E service
- Provide excellent customer service and develop effective partnerships with customers and business partners across the university
- Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred and/or relevant professional work experience
- 2+ years’ experience in a transactional and/or customer service environment
- 1+ years of supervisory experience in a customer service organization or demonstrated high level performance at a senior associate level
- Demonstrated ability to enhance effectiveness and efficiency through incorporation of innovative continuous improvement practices and other initiatives
Organizational Core Competencies and Skills:
- Advancing the Mission - Demonstrates ability to operate effectively in a manner consistent with the University of Michigan mission and culture. Exhibits understanding of the unique issues related to higher education.
- Building Relationships/Interpersonal Skills - Values organizational diversity, treats others with respect, and promotes cooperation. Effectively manages relationships and collaborates with others at all levels throughout the University.
- Creative Problem Solving/Strategic Thinking - Develops and creates ideas, processes, and approaches focused on the future.
- Communication - Demonstrates excellent communication skills to those at all levels throughout the University. Ability to adapt communication style to address the needs of individuals at all levels throughout the University.
- Development of Self and Others - Seeks opportunities to learn and develop themselves and others by setting developmental goals and seeking performance feedback. Applies new skills and knowledge gained in an effort to add value to the organization.
- Flexibility/Adaptability to Change - Responds positively to and champions change to others.
- Leadership/Achievement Orientation - Holds self and staff accountable for meeting established objectives and successfully accomplishing desired outcomes.
- Quality Service - Strives to meet the expectations of internal and external customers, firmly establishing a service first culture. Displays solid understanding of internal control concepts and the implementation of internal control systems in a complex business environment. Delivers results under difficult conditions and demonstrates balanced judgment under pressure.
- Experience in a Shared Services, customer service or transactional organization
- Experience in a higher education setting
- Familiarity with administrative processes, procedures, and systems at the University of Michigan
- Proficiency with creating reports and analyzing data
- Experience with Concur or other travel and expense processing applications
During the COVID-19 pandemic, please note that this position works primarily remotely. Going forward the position may be up to 95% remote and the candidate must live within a reasonable commuting distance from Ann Arbor.
The University of Michigan, with an operating budget of more than $7 billion, is a leader in higher education. U-M SSC provides administrative support related to financial and human resources in the following areas: Accounts Payable, Travel and Expense, General Accounting, Accounts Receivable, Benefits, HR Data Management, Time and Leave, and Employment Process. To learn more about U-M SSC, please visit our website: www.ssc.umich.edu.
We offer our employees an extensive total compensation package including competitive pay, a two-for-one retirement contribution, a variety of health insurance options, and a generous vacation plan. In addition, there are seven paid holidays and four paid season days.
The Shared Services Center seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
Note: Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.