Information and Technology Services (ITS) at the University of Michigan has an exciting opportunity for a talented and motivated candidate to be part of its Teaching & Learning Team. This team is responsible for supporting a diverse set of applications and technologies in support of teaching and learning.
This role’s primary responsibility will be to serve as a Tier 2/3 level IT assistance for various educational technologies in support of faculty, staff, students and other members of the university community.
Additional opportunities are available to assist in end user training, instructional design, media content management, and operational data analysis.
WHO WE ARE
ITS supports U-M faculty, students, researchers, and staff with their use of technology to teach, learn, research, and work, and be leaders in their fields. We are dedicated to creating cohesive digital experiences and enabling university wide innovations by:
- Elevating the customer experience by providing proactive, laser focused customer service
- Providing appropriate IT security and privacy in an open university society, while enabling innovation
- Supporting data-informed decision making
- Delivering intuitive research computing solutions
- Building a world-class, transformational network and reliable administrative systems
In addition, we value those that proactively solve challenges, work with a sense of urgency, and seek a collaborative and inclusive work environment.
The ITS mission is to be trusted enablers of technology for the U-M community. ITS works together to provide cohesive digital experiences and seamless support to the U-M community. To learn more, visit: its.umich.edu.
WHO YOU ARE
You are energized by working with a collaborative team and industry peers to support the university mission through innovative and appropriate use of technology. You seek understanding and to tackle projects and problems with your customers’ needs in mind. You anticipate problems and work proactively to preempt challenges and concerns, delivering increasingly relevant customer experiences over time. You value a culture that is rooted in mutual respect, where you can learn from different perspectives, roles, and identities.
As a member of the Teaching and Learning team, the ability to function effectively in a team-based autonomous environment with a high degree of flexibility is a must. Some of the expectations for this position include:
- Build customer relationships through active listening and frequent communication with customers, and by resolving incidents and requests, following up with customers on incidents escalated to other support groups.
- Actively coordinate with team members, service support groups, and vendors to effectively resolve incidents and requests.
- Follow procedures and guidelines to solve or escalate incidents and requests which may include but is not limited to: researching, isolating, data collection and analysis, query and report writing, troubleshooting and providing resolutions, configuration, workarounds, and problem escalation.
- Focus on service quality and availability
- Advise customers on IT policies and procedures.
- Provide end-user support to encourage product adoption.
- Support the development, design, implementation and improvement of services.
DEVELOPMENT OF SELF AND OTHERS
Our team members are always improving and developing in areas such as:
- Advanced customer service techniques
- The latest changes in tools and technologies
- New skills that increase effectiveness for the individual, team or organization
Development activities may include: on-the-job training, attending technical courses or conferences, reading, research and testing. Actively seeks relevant professional development opportunities and sets a plan in conjunction with supervisor. Participates fully and practices newly acquired skills and techniques to build long-term capacity.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and/or equivalent combination of education, certification and experience.
- Minimum of two years demonstrated experience in a related role requiring confidentiality, timeliness, customer service, organization, prioritization, troubleshooting, and working independently to successfully resolve end user issues.
- Demonstrated skills in providing end user support for current computer technology and applications, preferably in education technologies or enterprise-level applications.
- Demonstrated proficiency with current computer technology and applications (e.g. Word processing, spreadsheet, and collaboration applications).
- Two years of experience in providing end user support for Learning Management Systems such as Canvas, Blackboard, Sakai, Moodle, etc.
- Two years of experience in education or instructional design.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.