How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Department of Otolaryngology - Cochlear Implant and Hearing Rehab Center is looking for an enthusiastic, reliable and service-oriented individual to provide hearing aid and cochlear implant business services as well as technician services for hearing aid and cochlear implant patients, audiologists, speech language pathologists and staff. The individual in this role is expected to assist patients in our clinic and balance other daily responsibilities in a team-based setting.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Provide excellent service to patients, providers and other internal stakeholders
- Verify appointment status and process electronic check-in and check-out ensuring patient completeness of necessary documentation
- Screen, route and respond to phone inquiries from patients, staff, referring physicians and the public
- Obtain and verify patient registration demographic information and obtain accurate patient insurance information
- Provide insurance verification and authorizations related to office visits
- Manage inventory of loaner speech processors and hearing aids including performance of regular listening checks to ensure proper function
- Informal troubleshooting of speech processor equipment and hearing aids
- Assist audiologists with conducting hearing assessments
- Monitor database and provide documentation for equipment upgrade requests from patients, staff and cochlear implant manufacturers
- Schedule new and return patient visits
- Assist with clinic reschedules as assigned
- Manage individual and group inbasket messages in a timely fashion and according to established process and guidelines
- Scan time sensitive patient documents into chart as needed; send non-time sensitive patient paperwork to HIM
- Problem solve independently and as a part of your team
- Excellent phone etiquette and ability to accurately record phone messages
- Assist with other operational tasks as necessary
- 3-4 years of experince
- High School Diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary
- Experience in medical setting with knowledge of medical terminology and insurance
- Well-developed interpersonal skills as well as excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong Computer Skills including knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office
- Demonstrates excellent customer service skills
- Individual must exhibit a professional and positive image and an excellent attendance record
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of experience and education
- Experience working with clinicians and/or patients or individuals with hearing loss
- Knowledge of Epic/MiChart
- Knowledge of UMHS/University of Michigan policies and procedures
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.