Why Join the Department of Social Work Pediatric Team?
You will be part of an interdisciplinary team of social workers and other medical professionals providing bio-psychosocial assessments, treatment and case management services to patients with medical and/or psychiatric diagnoses. You will play a vital role in providing clinical social work services to patients and families in a pediatric setting.
The Department of Social Work strives to foster an environment of respect, diversity and inclusion; a place where every person feels valued and can thrive.
What Perks and Benefits Can You Look Forward to?
- 2:1 match on retirement savings
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage starting on day one of employment
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) and paid holidays
- Financial support for continuing education and certifications
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Assessment and intervention with patients/families to address psychosocial barriers to care (tangible resources such as lodging, transportation, food insecurity, insurance needs).
- Patient Advocacy related to navigating health care system
- Counseling to patients and families to address issues of coping and management of children with chronic health issues
- Work closely with inter-disciplinary team to collaborate on plan of care for patient
- Collaboration with medical team and Child Protection team to assess issues of neglect or abuse
- Working closely with community agencies including with school systems to advocate for the special needs of chronically ill children.
- Participation in inter-disciplinary team meetings, Social Work meetings and committee work that support the patient care mission.
- A Master's degree in Social Work from a school accredited by the Council of Social Work Education.
- A current license to practice social work in the State of Michigan.
- Previous experience with families and children around issues of chronic illness, adjustment to illness and disability, learning/school issues, locating community resources
- Due to the nature of the medical diagnoses associated with this population, proficiency in loss and bereavement issues is desirable
- Previous experience with medical and mental health social work.
- Skilled in developing rapport and effectively communicating with a diverse patient population.
- Efficient, accurate assessment of patient needs and effective care planning
- Effective organizational skills, flexibility, self-motivation, the ability to effectively prioritize multiple competing tasks in a dynamic medical clinic.
- Independent, sound decision-making is necessary for success in this position.
- Effective collaboration with a large multi-disciplinary team.
- Proficiency in keeping accurate and timely clinical records by computer.
This is a 20 hour/week position. The typical schedule will fall between Monday-Friday with start and end times 8:00-4:30 or 8:30-5:00
C.S. Mott Hospital, 1540 E. Hospital Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48109
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate. Advancement through the career ladder at the Expert or Clinical Scholar Level is required for placement in the MSW Senior Classification.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidate upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.