How to Apply
To apply for this position, please include a copy of your resume and cover letter (make this the first page of your resume) and click the Apply Now button above.
Your salary will be determined by your qualifications, experience, and education.
Come join a team of passionate individuals at a non-profit serving Michigan’s public universities, colleges, K-12 organizations, libraries, state government, healthcare and other Michigan non-profit organizations for over 55 years!
You will report to the Senior Manager of Network Engineering. In this role you will be responsible for the completion of long-term engineering and planning for Merit’s state-wide network. You will evaluate and recommend future network technologies, vendors, and services for Merit’s network and membership. You will act as group leader for high level network projects with local, national, and international implementation. Duties include budgetary and scheduling guidelines for Merit’s technology leaders.
You will provide high level training and guidance to the Network Operations and Engineering teams. Includes scope of training and degree of expert skills needed for next generation network needs. You will manage and maintain high level vendor relations to maintain proper services and technology to Merit’s community. You will work as Merit liaison to other regional networks, providers, development networks, and service plans with these peers. Technology advisor to VP of Network Strategy & Architecture.
This role requires occasional travel in support of the fiber network within Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.
To learn more about Merit and our team, please visit our website: https://www.merit.edu
What You'll Do
Essential functions for this position are followed be an (E).
Long Term Engineering & Planning (50%):
- Develop network engineering plan for Merit’s network and services. (E)
- Network scoping on capacity and service needs along with research and development opportunities. (E)
- Evaluation and recommendation of future network technologies, services, vendor interface, and evaluations.(E)
- Cost analysis and budgetary planning as part of the Network Strategy & Architecture leadership team.
Group Technology Leader (35%):
- Functional leader of engineering teams to develop operational processes and acceptance testing procedures for the network and services used on the network. (E)
- Included interface duties between local, national, and international leaders in developing future network opportunities. (E)
- Training engineering and NOC team leaders on the next generation of network technology.
Operational Support (15%):
- Third level operational support for Operations and Engineering support for network service issues. (E)
- Support includes debriefing of service issues after action review and policy review within the Operations and Engineering team.
Skills You Have
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering or a minimum of 10 years of related network technology experience
- Knowledge of Layer 1 to Layer 3 network technology and designs
- Ability to troubleshoot complex network service issues
- Demonstrate ability to communicate complex technical solutions
- Must have the ability to multi-task with competing demands
- Ability to design long term strategic network solutions
- Ability to work in groups as subject matter expert
- Ability to work alone
- Have strong understanding of optical networking technologies
- Have expert understanding of TCP/IP networking technologies
- Lead technical project teams
- Demonstrate the ability to work with teams outside of Merit organization
- Demonstrate knowledge of DWDM/CWDM Transport equipment design, installation and troubleshooting
- Must have Cisco/Juniper Certifications
- Ability to write service issue reports
- Ability to provide subject matter training to other technical teams
- Ability to work with vendors to solve technical solutions
- Ability to plan long term projects setting priorities and directions to technical staff
This position requires periodic background screening in order to work at Member sites. Employees in this position will have a background check performed upon hire, transfer, or as needed in advance of work assignments.
Background check results acceptable to the unit and Member site must be received prior to commencing work and will be good for up to twelve months.
We are posting this position at the Senior level, but will consider filling it at the Intermediate level depending on the qualifications, experience, and education of the preferred candidates. (Your salary will be determined by your qualifications, experience, and education.)
We are committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support staff and their families. Learn more about our 2:1 retirement matching, healthcare plans with nationwide coverage including prescription drug coverage, multiple dental plans, a vision plan, flexible spending account, well-being programs, long-term disability, automatic life insurance, general legal services, multiple early childhood centers, time away from work and work-life programs to promote balance. Learn more at http://careers.umich.edu/benefits/
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by you (with or without accommodations) to perform the essential functions of the job.
You must frequently work at a computer station, answer telephone calls, emails, and other forms of customer/client communication. You may on occasion move items of varying sizes and weights throughout the office or building.
Some local, state-wide, and occasional nation-wide travel in support of the fiber network within Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota is required.
The University of Michigan/Merit Network conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third-party administrator to conduct background checks in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for at least seven (7) calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
- If you have any questions regarding this job, please visit our website: https://www.merit.edu/about/careers/
- If you need assistance completing this application, please call (734) 615-2000, option 1
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.