How to Apply
Please provide a resume that documents your knowledge, skills, and experiences that are relevant to this position. Please note that if you are considered for an interview you may be asked to provide several professional references.
The University of Michigan Library is one of the world’s largest academic research libraries and serves a vibrant university community that is home to 19 schools and colleges, 100 top ten graduate programs, and annual research expenditures exceeding $1.5 billion a year. To enable the university’s world-changing work and to serve the public good, the library collects, preserves, and shares the scholarly and cultural record in all forms, and leads the reinvention of the academic research library in the digital age.
The library’s Research division includes library liaisons, informationists, and subject and domain specialists. We engage and collaborate across subject specialties and methodologies to support research. We want to promote a diverse and impactful library presence in the life of our scholarly community, with a sustained commitment to providing diverse, equitable, inclusive, and accessible resources and services.
Reporting to the Associate University Librarian (AUL) for Research, this position is an administrative professional who supports the work of the library's Research division. This position plans and coordinates work and manages confidential inquiries. The assistant helps to review and prepare issues coming to and from the AUL. This position works directly with the AUL's senior leadership team to become increasingly familiar with the division and its needs and may represent the AUL throughout the unit or in high frequency or cyclical matters. The position also serves as a member of the library's team of administrative professionals and works collaboratively across the organization to provide levels of support.
The Library is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and encourages all employees to incorporate their diverse backgrounds, skills, and life experiences into their work. Please view The Library’s Diversity Strategic Plan here.
- Manage the AUL's calendar directly.
- Manage storage and access to divisional budget information, in partnership with Library Finance, and assist the AUL with reporting needs and inquiries.
- Prepare vendor transactions, expense reports, and reconciliation statements.
- Monitor payroll and timesheet calendars and approve timesheets.
- Prepare and maintain work documentation including correspondence, reports, presentations, agendas and meeting minutes.
- Be an informational resource to faculty, staff, and students on behalf of the division.
- Manage procurement needs, including facilitating the ordering, receiving, stocking and distribution of office supplies.
- Prepare and manage divisional communications including email, intranet and public web content.
- Provide event support and management for virtual and onsite events, including division wide meetings, conferences or invited speaker engagements, and hosting occasions.
- Support special and high priority projects as assigned.
- High school education and 2 or more years relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience, including two or more years' increasingly responsible administrative experience.
- Service-oriented attitude.
- Experience providing direct administrative support to upper-level management.
- Sound technical skills.
- Value for diversity and the importance of inclusion expressed through a commitment to apply and incorporate the differences, complexities, and opportunities that diversity brings to an organization.
- High level of proficiency in Google docs and Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Project management experience.
The University of Michigan offers excellent benefits and wellness opportunities.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended. Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.