How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. In your letter, please provide links to 2 or 3 websites you have had involvement with and briefly detail what your role was.
The Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning is searching for an experienced web designer and administrator to manage its web-based initiatives and tools including external and internal websites. You will report to the director of marketing and communications as part of the advancement team and collaborate with colleagues from various academic and administrative areas to ensure the college makes informed choices about digital solutions that align with industry best practices and institutional goals.
- Develop and administer web-based properties incorporating best practices and emerging trends in web development to effectively engage key audiences, including prospective students and their influencers.
- Regularly monitor and manage sites for necessary updates and enhancements, and facilitate a content management schedule in partnership with key colleagues including graphic designers, writers, multimedia producers, and content owners.
- Analyze and report user feedback and statistics using Google Analytics and other tools to provide guidance and recommendations toward continuous website improvement, data-based decision-making, and the strategic use of the web to achieve organizational goals and objectives.
- Ensure strong site optimization, strategic UX design, adherence to digital accessibility standards, and data protection practices.
- Troubleshoot issues that arise related to functionality, including browser compatibility and accessibility issues.
- Manage relationships with web-related external freelancers/vendors.
- Bachelor's degree
- Project management and development experience with websites, mobile technologies, and design
- Experience reporting on advances in web and mobile applications, as well as website analytics, including SEO and online advertising, Google Tag Manager, and a desire to always integrate the most up-to-date technologies in pursuit of achieving higher performance
- Ability to ensure web accessibility using ARIA landmarks and validating HTML/CSS
- Additionally, successful candidates will be able to demonstrate through their interviews and our reference checking that they have:
- Excellent communication, critical thinking, and organizational skills
- Proven ability to work independently as a self-starter and in teams, able to set and manage priorities for self, colleagues providing content or input, as well as possible vendors
- Ability to handle multiple assignments, meet tight deadlines, and operate in a flexible, professional manner to analyze, compare, and evaluate different courses of action
- Creativity and a strong attention to detail
- Advanced degree in a relevant field
- Experience in website management in an academic setting
- Experience with online email systems, CRM systems, InDesign and/or intranets
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, U-M offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family, and plan for a secure future. Benefits include generous time off; retirement plan with two-for-one matching contributions after the first year; many choices for comprehensive health insurance; life insurance; long-term disability coverage; and flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses. Learn more about U-M benefits.
Please note: The position offers a competitive salary based on qualifications and experience. This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate. Relocation funds/assistance are not provided. Authorization to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment. Applicants will not be sponsored for work visas.
Who We Are
Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning at the University of Michigan promotes the public good by engaging a diverse constituency in purpose-driven learning and research that focuses on the built environment. Named among the best architecture and planning schools in the country, the college prepares graduates to lead the professions, organizations, and institutions that shape our world at every scale. Learn more about Taubman College.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Taubman College values a diverse group of students, faculty, staff, and administrators that includes people of different race and ethnicity, national origin, gender and gender expression, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, religious commitment, age, and disability status. We aim to create a community of mutual respect and trust where everyone's backgrounds, identities, and views are represented without any threat of bias, harassment, intimidation, or discrimination. Learn more about our DEI efforts.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.