How to Apply
A resume is required for consideration for this position. Applications submitted without a resume will not be considered.
The leaders and best in food service have an opportunity available for a Food Service Worker II to join our team. Food Service Personnel are expected to provide world class customer service to Michigan Medicine patients, visitors and their coworkers while maintaining the highest quality standards for food safety and sanitation.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- Assemble and deliver meal trays following procedures for: suicide precautions, insulin orders, calorie counts, isolation precautions, special diets, allergy cross contamination, and recognize the medical implication for procedure non-compliance. Requires continuous standing through shift, repetitive hand motions, and grasping of items on trays.
- Deliver meal trays following procedures for: The Joint Commission requirement for utilizing two patient identifiers, proper hand hygiene procedures that include standard precautions and following Infection Prevention procedures for wearing protective equipment, as well as service excellence and recovery standards. Operate department provided iPads and cell phones to facilitate safe delivery and meal tray tracking. Requires continuous walking and pushing heavy carts.
- Perform tray retrieval using Infection Prevention protocol and universal precautions to reduce the spread of bloodborne pathogens, wearing personal protective equipment, and following proper ergonomic standards.
- Professionally communicate with Nursing and unit personnel, co-workers and the Manager on Duty.
- Follow standard recipes for portion control, follow ServSafe food safety procedures, and operate food service equipment safely.
- Follow serviceware and equipment sanitation standards in accordance with health code regulations, including proper use of chemicals.
- Utilize the CBORD application Food Management System for food production, Nutrition Services Suite for tray assembly, TrayMonitor module for tray delivery, and Tray Pick-up for tray retrieval.
- Work in an efficient and organized manner to successfully complete job duties within allotted time.
- Understand and practice safe food handling procedures.
- These positions require frequent bending, twisting, squatting and reaching.
- Read, comprehend and follow written instructions
- Critically think and problem solve independently
- Communicate effectively and speak, write and comprehend English
- Work independently with minimal guidance as well as to work well with others as part of a team
- Perform physical job duties safely, including, pulling, standing, bending, kneeling and lifting up to 35 pounds, walking up to 5 miles per day.
- Perform excellent customer service with a friendly demeanor
- Be flexible with work schedules, job tasks, and job changes
- Maintain appropriate personal hygiene and professional appearance
- Maintain excellent attendance record
- Operate basic IT equipment (ex. iPad, computer)
- Must have High School Diploma or GED, and a willingness to learn new processes and technologies
30 hours per week / Tuesday-Saturday / 2:30pm-9:00pm
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the AFSCME union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.