How to Apply
Please submit cover letter and resume.
We are looking for highly motivated writers with a strong curiosity to join our team of reporters at The Michigan Times, the University of Michigan-Flint’s student-run newspaper. Applicants should possess a strong desire to learn new things, be comfortable talking with strangers, and be willing to take on a large but rewarding commitment to telling the ongoing story of the UM-Flint community. Projects may range from investigative pieces to feature articles about art, music, or personalities on campus.
Specific duties and requirements include:
- Eight flexible hours per week for “in the field” reporting and writing.
- Ability to cover student events and other breaking stories along with editorials (must be willing to change plans quickly to cover stories when needed).
- Must be able to write about meaningful issues and events pertaining not only on a campus level, but a local perspective as well.
- Ability to turn around complex stories on tight deadlines.
- Analyze relevant documents; interview high-level regulatory officials and industry executives.
- Attend all weekly meetings and pitch story ideas at each meeting.
- Craft all headlines for assigned stories.
- Capture all photos for assigned stories.
- Edit all work of assigned editing partner within deadlines.
No experience is needed and training will be provided, however a willingness to learn and strong writing skills are required.
- UM-Flint Student applicants only with a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Strong writing, analytical and communication skills are essential.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of three calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the fourth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.