How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- Retirement Savings Opportunities
- Providing guidance for study design issues
- Performing power calculations and estimating sample size
- Writing, testing, and implementing programs using R/Python/Matlab to clean, manage, merge, and analyze large, complex datasets
- Implementing methods to ensure data quality
- Supporting PIs and others in development of specific analysis plans
- Independently conducting appropriate data analyses
- Preparing and maintaining technical documentation of data and analytic files
- Summarizing, interpreting, and presenting results in written, tabular and visual formats
- Assisting in the writing of manuscripts and grant proposals
- Participating as a team member in discussions on analysis and improvement of data collection, quality of data analyses, programming and documentation
- Master’s degree in statistics, mathematics, economics, biostatistics, computer science, information, or related field.
- 3+ years of professional experience.
- Experience with R/Python/Matlab/TensorFlow.
- Strong statistical background and programming knowledge.
- Ability to be consistently and extremely detail-oriented.
- Ability to draft statistical tests in accordance with project designs, solve analytic problems, and develop instruments and related analysis plans.
- Working knowledge of epidemiologic concepts and methodology.
- Experience with complex data structures and linkages between data sources.
- Strong interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to write clear and concise technical documentation, summaries of various methodologies, and descriptions of statistical results. Excellent communication, both oral and written in the English language, and interpersonal skills are essential.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and efficiently work on multiple projects at the same time.
- Flexibility and ability to work independently and collaboratively with multiple researchers.
- PhD preferred
- Direct experience in supporting, managing and analyzing major research projects using large datasets (e.g., clinical trials, clinical registries, Medicare, Medicaid, or commercial insurance)
- Conversant or some knowledge of any of the following methodologies: Logistic and OLS regression, Multilevel analysis, interrupted time series, difference-in-difference analysis, survival models, and cluster analysis. Interest in developing skills in machine learning and Artificial Intelligence tools also is preferred
- Teaching orientation and interest or experience in communicating and sharing programming and statistical approaches with colleagues and other internal partners
- Prior research publications in statistical or medical journals
- Experience with SQL including the ability to write, update, select, insert, and join commands
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.