The University of Michigan-Dearborn seeks an energetic, innovative, service-oriented and collaborative professional to serve as the Head of User Services for the Mardigian Library. The Library works collaboratively with the campus community to provide a dynamic learning environment and experiences within and beyond the classroom as well as access to information needed to foster curiosity and scholarly inquiry. The ideal candidate will provide leadership, guidance, and strategic direction to the User Services Department and foster a creative, collaborative, inclusive, team-oriented, work environment.
The Head of User Services is a senior level management position in the Mardigian Library. This position is responsible for managing four User Services staff and approximately 15-20 student workers as well as supporting the work of the First Year Experience Librarian. The User Services Department comprises the functional areas of circulation, course reserves, inter-library loan, user engagement and outreach, stacks management, and both online and in-person first-tier research services. Other department head responsibilities include serving on the Library’s leadership team and facilitating communication and coordination with other departments in the Library.
- Serves as the head for the User Services Department
- Provides lead work direction for User Services staff and Student Workers
- Supports the activities of the First Year Experience Librarian to provide outreach services and library instruction
- Makes recommendations to the Director on department budget, staff, and facility needs
- Represents the User Services Department on the Library’s leadership team
- Actively participates in library, university and/or professional-level service commitments
- Explores and contributes to the design of emerging user services technologies and develops forward-thinking approaches to the delivery of excellent public services
- Provides leadership and vision in developing and improving innovative, user-centered Library-wide public services, spaces, policies, and procedures
- Collaborates and participates with other library departments to support student success and to enhance the effectiveness of library services
- Fosters an environment of responsive, welcoming services and spaces
- Other duties as assigned
- A graduate degree in library/information science from an ALA-accredited institution
- Demonstrated intercultural competence with diverse groups in professional performance and/or service
- Applying user experience assessment theories and methodologies within the physical space of the library
- Working with the Innovative integrated library system
M - F, Weekend and evening hours as needed
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.