How to Apply
To be considered, a cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be the leading page of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position and
- Outline your skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Starting salaries will vary depending upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
Information and Technology Services (ITS) is looking for a HR Financial Specialist Intermediate to join the ITS Finance Department. This position will support and directly report to the ITS Administration, Director of Finance.
Serve as a member of the Finance (FIN) team, with a focus on and closely aligned to the Human Resource (HR) team, within the ITS division. Supports a variety of projects including, but not limited to, the following: responsible for preparing financial analysis, forecasting and consultation services for ITS with a focus on HR analytics and Human Resource Information System (HRIS) processing. Prepares financial and operational reviews and projections of activity and costs; analyzes and assists in developing accurate budgets and timely internal reports.
Who We Are
ITS supports U-M faculty, researchers, staff, and students in their use of technology to teach, learn, research, and work, and be leaders in their fields. We are dedicated to creating cohesive digital experiences and enabling university wide innovations by:
- Elevating the customer experience by providing proactive, laser focused customer service
- Providing appropriate IT security and privacy in an open university society, while enabling innovation
- Supporting data-informed decision making
- Delivering intuitive research computing solutions
- Building a world-class, transformational network and reliable administrative systems
In addition, we value those that proactively solve challenges, work with a sense of urgency, and seek a collaborative and inclusive work environment.
ITS’s mission is to be trusted enablers of technology for the U-M community. ITS works together to provide cohesive digital experiences and seamless support to the U-M community. To learn more, visit: https://its.umich.edu.
Who You Are
You are energized by working with a collaborative team and industry peers to support the university mission through innovative and appropriate use of technology. You seek understanding and to tackle projects and problems with your customers’ needs in mind. You anticipate problems and work proactively to preempt challenges and concerns, delivering increasingly relevant customer experiences over time. You value a culture that is rooted in mutual respect, where you can learn from different perspectives, roles, and identities.
You have at least a Bachelor's degree in Finance, Human Resources, or related field and at least one-year financial accounting experience with a focus on human resources procedures
- Develops financial-decision making models, including development of budget and financial forecasts in relation to employee salaries, compensation structures, and general fiscal operations;
- Prepares spreadsheets and graphs to track personnel metrics, and run queries to monitor vacancies, turnover rates, FTEs, etc. Compiles and optimizes data reports using spreadsheet / database programs to prepare standard and ad hoc reports to facilitate decision making for ITS leadership;
- Initiates Personnel Action Requests (PARs) in the HRIS System. Examples of PAR changes include but are not limited to effort changes, salary adjustments, title and department changes, additional appointments, additional payments, and department budget earnings (DBE) changes. Works closely with ITS Human Resources customer leads to monitor requests;
- Maintains the divisional position control report to provide accurate and timely personnel data allowing for monthly forecast updates across ITS. Works closely with ITS FIN customer leads to monitor compensation budgets;
- Manages the annual merit program. Collaborate with ITS management to allocate annual staff merit pay increases according to central guidelines and to ensure departments keep within the allotted budget;
- Completes tasks within the recruiting system (eRecruit). Posts open positions using the university's applicant management system and external job boards, prepare promotion / demotion memorandums, and processes offer letters;
- Provides direction to ITS staff on tuition support policy, payroll policies, and onboarding/offboarding processes. Maintains ITS organizational charts and ITS staff lists, and updates MCommunity groups;
- Manages FIN and HR departmental procurement cards and assist with divisional facilities space management;
- Serves as the ITS internship financial and human resource coordinator, continually monitors monthly audit files, and runs internal control reports to identify budget and / or process variances; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Human Resources, or related field and a minimum of three (3) years of financial accounting experience with a focus on human resources procedures;
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive employee and business information with utmost confidentiality;
- Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communications to a wide audience and in providing exemplary customer service to maintain a positive environment including strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively through all levels of management and matrix organizations;
- Ability to multitask, meet pressing deadlines, and anticipate needs. Highly proactive, a high degree of problem-solving skills, high sense of accountability for work tasks, and adaptability;
- Ability to manage time effectively with a high degree of accuracy. Extremely detail oriented and able to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment; and
- Excellent computer skills and extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite programs, i.e. Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Must have strong technical capability to use pivot tables, build business object queries and similar. Demonstrative skill in creating data queries and reports.
- Master’s Degree and / or PHR;
- Human Resource or recruiting assistant experience is desired;
- Understanding of ERP systems including the ability to retrieve required data using data warehouse query tools;
- Experience in a higher education business setting, particularly knowledge of University of Michigan policies and systems; and
Knowledge of fund accounting principles and familiarity with Federal Uniform Guidance.
This position will be filled at the Intermediate level salary range of $53,100 - $60,000 as the primary goal. The requirements listed below reflect the Intermediate level expectation. Applicants with lesser experience are encouraged to apply and may be considered if the primary goal is not met. Lesser-experienced candidates will be reviewed at an Associate salary range of $51,500 - $57,000.
This position may work with and/or support systems that maintain or process sensitive institutional data as defined by university policy. Successful candidates must comply with federal, state and local law and/or university policies or agreements that require the university to implement specific privacy and security safeguards including, but not limited to: ITAR, EAR, HIPAA and FISMA. Responsible for protecting data and information from unauthorized release or from loss, alteration, or unauthorized deletion; and, following applicable regulations and instructions regarding access to computerized files, release of data, etc. as stated in a computer access agreement.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
Average amount of time in a stationary position, average mobility to move around an office environment; able to conduct normal amount of work at a computer; travel to various locations on and off campus. Punctual, regular, and consistent attendance is required.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.