The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Works with the primary care teams to manage patient flow in a fast paced outpatient setting. Essential Skills include: Efficient patient intake, information gathering, direct patient care (specimen processing, bench lab testing, EKGs, etc.) data entry, managing clinic flow, preparing patients for procedures, medication administration with appropriate documentation, clinical support to providers, patient follow-up, prescription management and other supporting processes.
- High school diploma or GED
- Graduation from a Medical Assistant program or an equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary.
- This position requires moderate standing/walking as well as lifting, positioning, pushing and/or transferring of patients.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to work well within a team setting.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Experience in a multi-specialty setting.
- Communicates effectively and builds respectful relationships.
- Must demonstrate active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills.
- Keyboarding experience.
- Basic knowledge of medical terminology.
- Demonstated active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills.
0-1 year of experience
1-3 years of experience
- Additional formal education in a health care field or certification as a Medical Assistant.
- An interest or exposure to lean thinking and process improvement.
- Responds positively to change, showing willingness to learn new ways to accomplish work.
- Experience working within a large, complex health care setting.
- Familiarity with Michigan Medicine electronic medical record systems.
- Knowledge of university policies and procedures.
Shift/Hours/Days & Evenings: 40 hours, Mon-Fri & Occasional Saturdays
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.