How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Life Sciences Institute is looking for a part-time research laboratory technician to study the structure of biological macromolecules using cryogenic electron microscopy (Cryo-EM). You will report directly to Dr. Min Su.
Our mission at the Life Sciences Institute is to advance the understanding of the fundamental processes of life, and to pioneer new ideas to improve human health.
For more information on the Life Sciences Institute: https://www.lsi.umich.edu/
For more information on the Su laboratory: https://www.lsi.umich.edu/science/centers-technologies/cryo-electron-microscopy/people/min-su
- Clone, express, and purify a variety of proteins in bacterial expression systems
- Perform protein purification with FPLC including affinity, ion exchange, column chromatography and fractionation
- Use standard laboratory equipment including hand pipettes, balances, pH meters, plate readers and calculators
- Prepare grids for electron microscopy study
- Conduct negative stain and cryo-EM image acquisition using software tool, Leginon, EPU, and SerialEM
- Help with data processing
- High School Diploma or Associate's degree
- Minimum of six months of research laboratory experience in biochemistry or a related field
- Minimum of six months experience in basic molecular biology (e.g., protein gel electrophoresis and protein purification)
- Minimum of two-year commitment is required
- Bachelor's degree (or expected graduate) in Biology or related majors (e.g., Cellular or Molecular Biology, or Biochemistry, or Biophysics)
- Minimum of six months experience in the following: molecular cloning and microscopy imaging
Benefits at the University of Michigan
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Vision, Dental and Legal Insurance
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.