How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Inpatient Rehabilitation Patient Services Associate provides customer service and facilitates business processes that contribute to efficient and quality patient care. This role interacts with patients, families, clinicians and, other administrative staff members in support of patient admissions and scheduling of rehab therapy services.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- Retirement Savings Opportunities
- Greet patients arriving to therapy areas, verify appointment status and facilitate patient transport back to the bedside.
- Screen, route and respond to phone inquiries from prospective patients/families, outside referring hospitals, nursing, and unit staff.
- Accurately schedule new admission encounters and daily patient therapy appointments in the electronic medical record
- Answer incoming calls related to patient scheduling and communicate with clinicians regarding scheduling needs, delays, cancellations
- Monitor patient transportation status to aid timely patient movement and notifications regarding patient status
- Create and distribute weekly team meeting schedules in accordance with required CMS timing requirements
- Identify and resolve daily operating issues related to patient scheduling and transportation in order to provide the ideal patient experience and contribute to meeting Inpatient Rehab Therapy requirements. Engage management as needed.
- Patient Admissions
- Monitor internal and external referral queues and initiate preadmission case tracking and processing.
- Communicate with outside hospitals regarding referral status and the need for additional documentation.
- Complete patient registration process updating/verifying patient demographics within the EMR
- Prepare and send registration and clinical packet for patients admitting to MM@SJMC.
- Triage phone calls related to patient referrals and admissions
- Complete clerical support tasks including data tracking and entry, running reports, document scanning, requesting records, reconciling patient lists
- Participate in departmental efforts that contribute to safe and efficient patient flow coordinating with administration, therapies, nursing, and physicians
- Orders supplies and processes purchase orders
- Additional projects and duties assigned by manager
- High School Diploma or GED.
- 3 – 4 years of customer service experience.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Excellent keyboarding skills and knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work well within a team setting.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Demonstrated active listening, written, verbal, and information technology skills.
- Experience working within a large, complex health care setting.
- Familiarity with MM electronic medical record systems.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Knowledge of university policies & procedures
Monday - Friday, 7:30 AM to 4 PM
University Hospital, Ann Arbor
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.