The Marketing & Media Relations Manager, which reports directly to the Vice President, Marketing & Communications, has lead responsibility for two primary areas: developing and supporting relations with local and regional press contacts, and planning and executing all media buys in coordination with UMS’s external branding firm. The successful candidate will be adept at managing many deadlines for a wide range of projects with short- and long-term planning horizons. This position is part of a four-person marketing & communications team and works closely with student interns.
These activities occur with an eye toward attracting audiences to UMS in-person and digital events, ensuring ticket sales and attendance goals are met or exceeded, and increasing UMS’s regional and national visibility, as well as actively supporting UMS’s anti-racism goals.
This position is based in Ann Arbor, MI. Due to the nature of the work, the successful candidate will be expected to work in person once offices re-open.
Who We Are
Housed on the campus of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, UMS is one of the oldest performing arts presenters in the country, committed to connecting audiences with performing artists from around the world in uncommon and engaging experiences. With a program steeped in music, dance, and theater, UMS contributes to a vibrant cultural community by presenting approximately 60-75 performances and over 100 free educational activities each season. UMS also commissions new work, sponsors artist residencies, and organizes collaborative projects with local, national, and international partners.
UMS was selected as one of the 2014 recipients of the National Medal of Arts, the nation’s highest public artistic honor. For more information on UMS visit www.ums.org.
UMS values a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are committed to the development of staff who thrive and contribute to a positive and inclusive environment.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
Interviews will begin in June, with an anticipated start date in July. No phone calls please.
ADVERTISING COORDINATION & BUDGET MANAGEMENT [40%]
- Develop and implement print and broadcast advertising plan for year, including booking, copywriting, and coordinating graphic design. Ensure accuracy, brand compliance, and on-time delivery of final artwork. Manage annual advertising budget of ~$150-175k.
- Create internal benchmarks and work with Director of Digital Media to track and analyze digital media buys.
- Collaborate on creation and production of UMS collateral materials, including flyers and posters.
- Secure media partners and handle partner sponsorship fulfillment.
- Hire and supervise graphic design intern, and proofread all design collateral. Work closely with staff at local design agency.
PRESS/MEDIA RELATIONS [30%]
- Research, write, and distribute press/news releases and media advisories.
- Plan strategy and develop story angles for performances, educational activities and special events.
- Pitch story ideas, coordinate interviews and publicity appearances, manage press tickets, and service press inquiries.
- Build relationships with members of the traditional media and new outlets regionally and nationally (when appropriate). Maintain database.
- Distribute and archive press related/relevant to UMS.
- Work with Group Sales Coordinator to develop and contact community-based organizations.
- Develop talking points and scripts for radio interviews and other institutional activities.
E-MAIL & PRINT COMMUNICATIONS [15%]
- In conjunction with Digital Marketing Coordinator, create, proofread, and deploy UMS e-mail campaigns that support communications efforts. Track effectiveness of campaigns through A/B testing and report analysis.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT & ADMINISTRATION [15%]
- Coordinate subscription renewal campaign each spring, including renewal forms, list management, and mailing.
- Assist when needed in supporting press needs for activities beyond performances, including education & community engagement activities, donor events, and more.
- Support Director of Digital Media with artist interview requests for blog posts and other social content.
- Recruit, train, and supervise intern/work-study graphic design position, and provide feedback and mentorship.
- Attend weekly marketing department strategy meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 3-5 years of professional experience in marketing/communications and experience working in the performing arts and/or non-profit sectors.
- Bachelor’s Degree in English, Communications, Business, Music or related field.
- Knowledge of and interest in performing arts and artists.
- Ability to effectively manage numerous projects simultaneously and in various stages of development. Must be productive and flexible under pressure and able to meet deadlines.
- Ability to plan workflow several months in advance, while responding to immediate needs.
- Meticulous attention to detail with excellent writing and proofreading skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral/written communication skills, and the ability to deal with a variety of personalities with tact and diplomacy.
- Technologically savvy with strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite and Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator).
- Experience working with an email marketing platform (such as MailChimp, ExactTarget, Prospect2) and CRM database, with Tessitura CRM system, and/or Prospect2 email system a plus.
- Ability to work as part of team that values brainstorming and creative input, as well as to work independently and take initiative. Willingness to experiment and innovate.
- Ability to be largely self-sufficient in managing administrative needs.
- Willing to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- This position involves traveling to various locations on and off campus. Routinely moves equipment and boxes weighing up to 40 pounds for various events.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.