How to Apply
This position is available to current UM-Flint graduate students. Students with interest in research are preferred. Applicants should provide a cover letter including it as page one of your resume or CV. Students should indicate their skills in their application materials, as well as what type of research experience they are interested in.
By applying for this position, you may also be considered for a Graduate Student Research Asst position depending on specific project selection and coordinating job resonsibilities.
This position is advertising for multiple positions with multiple faculty.
We are looking for graduate students with skills in one or more of the following areas:
Statistics, GIS, Database management, Data science, Data analytics, Computer Science, Programming, and Environmental Health
We seek talented graduate students for paid research opportunities beginning Spring 2021. The work will be with faculty mentors on projects for the Urban Sustainability and Environmental Health Research Cluster and all work will adhere to university-established health guidelines for safety. Hours worked will be decided in consultation between faculty members and each student and will be flexible.
Due to the variety of possible projects, duties may include a portion or all of these listed below:
- Collecting data
- Enter data
- Provide analysis
- Conduct literature reviews
- Collect and analyze data
- Prepare interview questions
- Recruit and/or interview subjects
- Maintain accurate records of interviews, safeguarding the confidentiality of subjects, as necessary
- Summarize interviews
- Provide ready access to all experimental data for the faculty researcher and/or supervisor
- Request or acquire equipment or supplies necessary for the project
- Manage and respond to project related email
- Prepare, maintain, and update website materials
- Attend project meetings
- Attend area seminars and other meetings as necessary
- Summarize project results
- Prepare progress reports for the PI
- Prepare other articles, reports, and presentations
- Must be a current UM-Flint graduate students.
- Students with interest in research are preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication (analytical writing, creative writing, or presenting)
- Strong ability to think critically
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Outgoing personality, including ability to communicate and work with diverse constituents
- Professional demeanor
- Ability to meet deadlines and work independently
- Past research experience desired, but not required
How You'll Grow
Candidates can expect to expand their research skill set and network.
Outcome skills include:
- Knowledge of how to conduct research
- Strong understanding of teamwork
- Development of independent project management skills
- Knowledge of campus and community resources and partners
- The student researcher will benefit from learning from an interdisciplinary team
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.