How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
This position is responsible for accurately and efficiently processing all inbound and outbound calls in a fast paced, high volume call center, all while providing exceptional customer service.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Immediately answer all telephone calls, accurately determine needs and connect them with the appropriate department/person or disseminate the appropriate information, including the following:
- Permission calls-accurately complete permission form based on permission protocol standards.
- Stat calls- immediately answer in-coming stat calls, accurately translate information received, send to the appropriate pager, and the document process.
- Answering Service- Identify site, customer calling, patient, the patient's physician, and the on-call physician for the site and accurately translates information received and send to the appropriate on-call physician’s pager and or nurse triage service.
- Respond appropriately, politely and informatively to verbal inquires and complaints.
- Always display good judgment and maintain confidentiality regarding all matters of a highly sensitive or confidential nature.
- Monitor alarms and initiate appropriate responses for fire, weather, medical and other emergencies, such as telephone or paging outages.
- Accurately maintain and update computerized databases for on-call assignments, monthly schedule, staff directories, and other miscellaneous computer applications required by the department to function smoothly.
- Participate in the training process of new operator personnel
- Exchange replacement pagers via telephone call from Hospital Security and update the database with the required information.
- Validate and retrieve pager achieves for customers
- Provide pager sign-out for established groups.
- Provide daily test to established groups.
- A high school diploma.
- Problem solving: Must possess the ability to constructively handle unexpected problems.
- Must possess analytical skills.
- The ability to multi-task.
- The ability to work with multiple computer programs.
- Excellent keyboarding abilities.
- The ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Verbal communication skills in English a must, voice articulation, quality, etiquette and techniques required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Fast and accurate typing: ability to create grammatically correct pages with no spelling errors.
- 3-5 years customer service experience.
- 3 years’ experience in a high traffic call center is a must.
- Medical Terminology.
- 3-5 years’ experience in a health care organization.
- Knowledge of Aspect
- Knowledge of MiChart
Tuesday and Wednesday, 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the AFSCME union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.