The Domino's Farms Metabolism, Endocrinology & Diabetes (MEND)/ Podiatry Clinic is seeking a compassionate, enthusiastic, patient-oriented Medical Assistant Associate to assist in our Podiatry Department. The Medical Assistant will provide clinical assistance by taking vital signs, performing POC testing and assisting physicians as needed. They will escort patients to exam rooms and enter medical history into the patient's chart. They will also be very hands on with patients, often assisting physicians with procedures and completing routine foot care for patients.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Patient intake (e.g. documenting chief complaint, V/S, height, weight).
- Review and update MiChart as directed.
- Patient follow-up for normal and low complexity test results as directed by provider.
- Assist providers with management of point-of-care alerts for services due.
- Perform POC testing.
- Patient instruction for durable medical equipment and test or procedure preparation.
- Process prescription renewals as directed by a provider or RN.
- Medication administration per delegation guidelines or order for oral meds and injections.
- Assist with tests and complex procedures.
- Provide foot care for patients.
- Assist in setting self- management goals and follow-up on established goals.
- Chronic pain management tasks per protocol.
- Vaccine inventory and supply management.
- Order clinical supplies and medications.
- Process instruments and follow sterilization process.
- Thoroughly clean exam rooms and other spaces as needed.
- Maintain current competencies and mandatory training.
- Assist providers with completion of patient paperwork.
- Complete in basket messages and fax requests.
- Assist with other patient care duties as requested.
High School Diploma or GED.
Graduation from a Medical Assistant program or an equivalent combination of education and 1-3 years of experience.
Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
Moderate standing/walking, as well as, lifting, positioning, pushing and/or transferring patients.
Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work well within a team setting.
Demonstrates active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills.
Certification as a Medical Assistant.
Experience working within a large, complex health care setting.
Familiarity with UMHS electronic medical record systems.
Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
Experience working in a Podiatry Clinic.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine, by the start of the fall term on August 30, 2021. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.