How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Frontline interaction with patients and families performing clerical functions in a busy outpatient specialty clinic setting for the Taubman Medical Specialties ACU.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Assist in cashiering duties
- Clerical tasks that require proper telephone technique, typing, computer and data entry skills
- Confirms referring and/or Primary Care Physician information
- Gather and verify patient demographics, insurance and other pertinent information
- Greet patients and check them in for appointments using MiChart (EPIC)
- Prepare patient itinerary and all other appropriate correspondence
- Provide patient with appropriate educational/preparation information for procedures
- Provide patient with information regarding past balances
- Schedule and reschedule appointments in MiChart/Cadence and document
- Scheduling and coordinating patient appointments for diagnostic procedures/visits
- Work directly with physicians and nurses regarding patient concerns/issues/questions
- Back up to the Patient Account Representative/Referral Coordinator
- Adheres to high standards of teamwork by demonstrating adaptability, flexibility and consistently shares information and resources with others
- Documented history of excellent attendance and punctuality
- Effective time management skills/consistently uses available time effectively
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (e.g. ability to provide and receive constructive feedback, seeks constructive approaches to resolving workplace issues)
- May be required to work overtime
- May be required to cross cover other areas
- Strong attention to detail
- Works well with minimal supervision
- Able to work in a fast paced customer friendly environment.
- Clerical experience, preferably in a medical setting
- Ability to spell correctly and use proper grammar
- High school diploma or General Education Development (GED) credential
- 0-1 years of experience required
- Basic medical terminology
- Previous cashiering or patient account representative experience
- Previous experience in an ambulatory care clinical setting
- Knowledge of University and Department of Internal Medicine policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of insurances and billing procedures
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.