How to Apply
Please include a cover letter, and tell us about yourself! We’d love to hear your background, and why Mcity sounds like a good next step for your career.
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume.
Mcity supports a broad range of advanced transportation research in areas such as automation, connectivity, and accessibility. As part of this work we run a test facility, several living labs, and build systems to classify, and help analyze data, working with our industry members and university researchers. You will develop and scale all the components of our software/hardware architecture, and will report to the Software Engineering Manager.
Why Work at Michigan?
Being part of something greater, of serving a larger mission of discovery and care — that's the heart of what drives people to work at Michigan. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. It's adding a purpose to your profession. Work at Michigan and become a victor for the greater good.
- Develop new uses and possibilities within Mcity living labs, tools, and systems; stay up-to-date with latest development technology and trends
- Serve in a mentorship capacity for student and junior team members
- Support and collaborate with customers – this includes industry members and the U-M research community
- Design new systems or improve design of existing software, in collaboration with other engineers
- Code, analyze, test, and work across the full development stack (CI/CD, test suites, services, APIs, frontend, backend, and IoT devices UX)
Required Qualifications for Lead (in addition to Senior Qualifications)
- 8+ years of relevant experience building similar types of systems
- Experience mentoring junior level staff and student researchers
- Experience developing IoT hardware
Required Qualifications for Senior
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field; or equivalent experience
- For Senior, 5+ years of relevant experience building similar types of systems
- Advanced experience with DevOps workflows (CI/CD, Docker, Version control) and cloud frameworks (AWS, Heroku)
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Benefits at the University of Michigan
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.