How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for one of these positions and must be attached as the first page of your resume. The letter should address your specific interest in, outline skills, and experience as related to this position. Please submit contact information (email and phone) for 3-5 professional references along with your resume. Applicants who do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
Rackham Graduate School seeks one (1) part-time (up to 20 hours per week) graduate student temporary Program Assistant to provide assistance with programming and supporting our graduate student parent community.
Applicants must be currently registered in a Rackham graduate program. Students who are unsure if they are in a Rackham graduate program should check their graduate program listing in www.rackham.umich.edu/programs-of-study
This position will run from July 1, 2021 through April 30, 2021; availability during the appointment period is critical..
The Student Parent Programming Assistant (SPPA) is a new position with the Recruitment, Engagement & Partnerships (REP) Office that will assist the Manager for Graduate Student Engagement with the maintenance and creation of programs, resources, and initiatives for student-parents at Rackham. The aim of the position is to strengthen the community and supports for students with children by understanding needs, increasing programming, and offering advocacy when possible. One of the key responsibilities of this position will be to assist with the implementation and maintenance of a student-parent peer-to-peer mentoring program.
PLEASE NOTE: Late afternoon and early evening work may be required; possible weekend work may be required with advance notice. Schedule varies based on the needs of the program.
Responsibilties include but are not limited to:
- Assist with the coordination and maintenance of the pilot student-parent peer mentoring program;
- Review current Rackham student parent resources;
- Benchmark other student parent programs on campus;
- Conduct focus group/needs assessment with student-parent community;
- Coordinate and implement 2-3 events per semester;
- Assist with student-parent graduation celebration;
- Create content for student parent Facebook group;
- Assist with other signature events and initiatives as needed;
- Attend weekly REP team meetings;
- Draft documents and program materials;
- Assist with the development of program evaluation tools; and
- Generate outcome summary report.
- Applicants must be currently registered in a Rackham graduate program. Students who are unsure if they are in a Rackham graduate program should check their graduate program listing in http://www.rackham.umich.edu/programs-of-study.
- More than one year of Graduate student experience at the University of Michigan;
- Familiarity with the needs and challenges of graduate student-parents;
- Familiarity with diversity issues in higher education and specifically the challenges faced by underrepresented populations;
- Previous experience with student support programming;
- Experience delivering programming in virtual formats, including familiarity with Canvas, Zoom, and other virtual platforms;
- Ability to work as part of a team and capacity to exercise independent initiative;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to maintain confidentiality in matters of a sensitive and confidential nature;
- Ability to handle multiple projects with excellent attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines;
- Strong organizational skills; and
- Knowledge of personal computer productivity tools including word processing, spreadsheets, presentation and electronic communication, social media, and calendaring software packages.
- Previous experience with administration and facilitation of peer mentoring programs; and
- Reasonable knowledge of University and departmental policies and procedures, University organization, and University protocol and governance.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.