How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. Please include a list of references along with your CV and cover letter.
The College of Pharmacy is seeking a full-time lab technician general associate, (intermediate or senior level will be considered for an exceptional candidate). The Wei Cheng laboratory is interested in fundamental scientific questions relevant to the design of vaccines. Dr. Cheng is seeking a detail-oriented and dedicated individual to assist in his research on mechanisms of B cell responses to particulate antigens such as viruses. You will work under direct supervision, and perform both lab specific tasks and general lab activities required for research. Examples of lab specific tasks include mouse immunization, collection of mouse blood, ELISA, biolayer interferometry measurement of sera antibodies, operation of FPLC, purification of recombinant proteins, preparation and characterization of nanoparticles for mouse immunization, isolation of mouse B cells, in vitro characterization of B cells, cell culture, transient tranfection, virology techniques such as virion titer and neutralization. General lab duties include autoclaving, lab supply ordering/receiving, coordination of lab safety inspection, preparation of common solutions, gels and buffers, cleaning and maintenance of common labware and equipment. The candidate is expected to write lab reports for his/her work using electronic notebook. Prior animal experience is preferred but not required.
- Lab specific animal experiments: examples include mouse immunization, collection of blood and ELISA, isolation of B cells from mice, in vitro B cell studies in particular with flow cytometry
- Lab specific biochemical and biophysical experiments: examples include operation of FPLC, purification of recombinant proteins, preparation of liposomes, characterization of liposomal nanoparticles using both gel methods and analytical instruments, characterization of antibody affinities using Biolayer interferometer.
- Lab specific tissue culture experiments: mammalian cell culture, transient transfection
- Lab specific virology experiments: virion production and titer, virion neutralization
- General lab duties: (1) autoclave, this will include media, pipette tip, test tubes and biological waste (2) lab supply ordering, receiving and organizing (3) lab waste management, lab safety related monitoring, and coordination of lab safety inspection (4) preparation of common solutions, gels and buffers (5) cleaning and maintenance of common labware (6) maintenance of tissue culture cabinet, CO2 incubator and compressed gas tank supplies (7)other general lab duties not listed but may be assigned by the lab director.
- Bachelor degree in biology, chemistry or related fields
- After training, able to conduct experiments as directed with high precision and consistency, able to write and compile experimental reports using electronic notebook
- A dedicated individual who can execute experimental tasks as directed with high precision and consistency, reasonable prior experience, and high ethical standards
- Occasionally able to work with a flexible schedule
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
The Cheng Lab is located at the center of the Ann Arbor campus, with convenient access to public transportation and university parking structures. This appointment will be full time (40 hours per week) with full package of benefits available from the university.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.