How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are important submissions for the hiring team to get a sense of your experience. In the cover letter, in two pages or less, please let us know how this role aligns with your career aspirations. Please submit both a cover letter and resume as one file (because of system limitations).
Michigan Creative, a unit of the Office of the Vice President for Communications, is looking for a technical problem-solver for a full-time role as a Junior Web Developer. You are someone who is collaborative, passionate about coding and learning modern technology. As a junior developer, your code is structured and documented. You will be mentored and supported by senior developers and report to the web development manager. You will grow your skills in a friendly environment that values work-life balance.
Our academic excellence, history, diversity, campus culture, and public nature make it an extraordinary institution and an enormously influential brand. You will be part of the marketing enterprise and will provide high-caliber, award-winning websites for the University of Michigan's Office of the Vice President for Communications, and for other clients across the University's 19 schools and colleges and multiple institutes and centers.
Why Work at Michigan?
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
- Contribute to an array of University (and community) tools and websites by writing and troubleshooting code
- Take initiative to learn our development tools (for example, WordPress, Drupal, and NetlifyCMS)
- Collaborate with our partners to determine digital objectives and develop applications that align with those goals, and support our digital strategy
- Improve the development and QA workflow using a continuous integration and deployment philosophy
- Use your curiosity to assist the development team by researching options and providing solutions
- Work with diverse teams across a large, decentralized organization
- 1+ year(s) experience in a web developer role
- Familiarity with Git/version control
- Familiarity with PHP
- Passion for high-quality deliverables
Bonus skills or interests: Experience with static-site generators, such as Hugo, Gatsby, Eleventy, Gridsome, or similar. Experience developing with another language, like Python or Go API/GraphQL design and development. Interest in emerging technologies (Augmented/Virtual Reality, machine learning, voice).
The Office of the Vice President for Communications seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.