How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Do you delight in providing customers an awesome experience while continuing to grow your own skills and expertise? Are you someone a team knows they can count on for your technical IT expertise and ability to get things done? Can you think analytically and communicate clearly? Are you proficient with a variety of communication platforms including email, voice, and in-person? Are you a self-starter with a can-do attitude? If you can answer yes to all those questions, we have an opportunity we hope you will consider.
The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA) is seeking a temporary Computer Consultant 2 to work with our IT Customer Experience Team. This team represents a combination of services, related to further enabling a consistently awesome experience for LSA IT customers, providing initial point of user contact including walk-up, phone, email, and web; reactive and proactive user support and account management. The Customer Experience Team is the user facing, first-point of contact for University of Michigan's largest college, therefore strong demonstrated passion and excellence in mission-focused customer service is a must. The ideal candidate is a quick learner who will be able to balance a multi-variety amount of tasks both in a structured and unstructured environment.
- Assist LSA IT Service Desk, Desktop Support Specialists in supporting faculty and staff in LSA academic and administrative departments.
- Provide Tier 1 desktop support and service restoration.
- Respond to support requests made through the LSA IT Service Desk and assigned via a ticketing system.
- Acquire and thoroughly gather relevant information to assist yourself and subsequent colleagues to resolve incidents.
- Assist end-users in-person, over the phone, via email and remotely.
- Prioritize requests and attend to issues related to hardware replacement and upgrade, software installation and troubleshooting, printing, network connectivity, email, etc.
- Troubleshoot problems to the best of your ability; refer unresolved problems as appropriate.
- Provide customer follow-up and education.
- Proactively seek information and utilize analytical and creative problem solving skills along with standard processes and technologies to efficiently triage and resolve reported problems.
- Create and maintain documentation to support users and the Service Desk team.
- Conduct effective communications with co-workers, Tier 2 teams, and end-users with guidance from senior staff.
- Help desk and/or technical support experience, including providing outstanding customer service and accurately documenting detailed information.
- Experience in desktop support and troubleshooting of Windows, Macintosh and/or Linux-based systems.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Demonstrated skill in verbally communicating technical concepts and information to a wide range of users.
- Demonstrated excellent writing skills for both communications with customers and with IT colleagues, including ability to clearly document incident resolutions.
- Proficient with word processing, spreadsheets, Google Apps, and other collaboration platforms.
Salary: $14.00 - $15.00 per hour
Schedule: 40 hours, Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.