This position is a float position that works with all clinic areas of the Rogel Cancer Center, our Call Center at NCAC and the Intake Area at NIB. This position can cover all aspects of clerical work both assistant and associate, along with covering for our Intake Coordinators. This position has the potential of being moved from different areas throughout the day. Clerical work includes check-in, staff room, check-out, phones, intake along with other duties as assigned.
We, the staff and faculty of the Rogel Comprehensive Cancer Center team, are committed to advancing medicine and serving humanity through living and teaching our core values of Respect and Compassion; Collaboration; Innovation; and Commitment to Excellence.
Each employee is expected to understand and demonstrate that in every interaction we represent our entire organization in the care we provide and in the courtesies we extend to patients, families, and each respective team member. The Rogel Cancer Center is dedicated to partnering with patients and families to deliver the safest and highest quality of health care. Ensuring a Patient and Family centered experience according to the Health System Service Excellence Goals is a priority to the care of our patients. The individual chosen will be responsible for meeting the highest standards of customer service including, exhibiting a professional and positive image when interacting with patients, faculty and staff.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- Retirement Savings Opportunities
Check out: Checking patients out after their medical appointments, scheduling and coordinating future appointments, Infusion therapies, tests, Radiation Oncology (if needed) and procedures. Accurately and efficiently schedule patients utilizing MiChart. Identify the best available appointment type for the patient’s particular appointment. Takes payments for services. Request and process all patient payments; both co-pays and outstanding balances. Accurately reconcile and balance receipts and payments collected. Enter valid and complete information into Cadence. Follow protocols for verifying all patient demographics and insurance information.
Check In: Depending on which clinic the following duties can apply: Check patients in to appropriate clinic which includes: Give correct paperwork to patient, Scan Friends and Family Form, Send ROI and Care Everywhere releases to HIM, Distributes faxes to appropriate people, Print & place wrist bands on Infusion patients, verifying name and dob, End of Day for infusion; Send inbasket note to appropriate provider, Next day lab order check, Cancel appointments and send appropriate communication to clinic, Correct paperwork check which includes what paperwork each patient gets in the appointment notes, Pre-make urine cups and instructions.
Call Center: Primarily responsibilities are triaging patient calls, reviewing in-basket continually, working with encounter notes and scheduling appointments as directed.
Intake Coordinator: Be knowledgeable of the diagnosis and to make sure that the patient is in the appropriate clinic with the appropriate doctor based on that diagnosis. Discuss urgent cases and new referrals with physicians as appropriate. Obtain demographic, insurance information, referring physician and other pertinent information and enter into the New Patient Tracker System. Ensure all necessary medical records/slides/films are obtained prior to patient’s appointment following up as necessary via the new patient tracker. Confirm no further testing is needed to confirm diagnosis. Ensure patient appointments are expedited the day the call comes in/or if message left after hours, the next morning.Scan records and process slides and radiology discs upon receipt. Ensure all information is here for the appointment. Follow up with any needed records, radiology or slides noted during the first visit. Notify patient of their upcoming appointment and inform them of any additional information needed for their visit. Send new patient packet containing information needed for their visit to the Cancer Center.
Other duties as assigned; including assisting the Clinic Coordinators when their lead clerk is not there; doing staff room clerical duties, covering the info desk and assisting with mass rescheduling of patients.
- High School diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary.
- Three years of previous clerical/medical records experience in an outpatient clinical setting is necessary.
- General office practices, ability to understand medical documentation and general knowledge of medical terminology is required.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written skills.
- Candidate must be an active team player and be able to work independently.
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills are required along with outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated record of excellent attendance.
- Exhibits professional and positive image when interacting with patients, faculty, and staff.
- Able to handle multiple responsibilities in a fast-paced environment with accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to move from position to position during the shift of work.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Demonstarted active listening, written, verbal, and information techology skills.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of medical terms, testing and procedures is desired.
- Previous clerical work in a hospital setting.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, Careweb, Outlook, EPIC and the ability to navigate between these systems.
- Experience working within a large, complex healthcare setting.
Monday-Friday 40 hours
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.