How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
We are seeking a Teller Intermediate to join our Student Financial Services team in Financial Operations. The Student Financial Services area provides student billing and collection services to over 48,000 students as well as cash receipt and disbursement services for student organizations. This position serves an important role as the first point of contact for walk-in payments for student accounts and deposits / disbursements for student organizations on the Ann Arbor campus.
The University of Michigan seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
- Promptly greet customers, identify needs and establish and maintain professional and positive dialogue.
- Efficiently and accurately process payment, deposit and disbursement transactions according to established guidelines for students, faculty, and staff at a full-service teller window, while maintaining exceptional customer service.
- Exercise careful judgement in determination of document authenticity and validity of the required identification used.
- Maintain the required amount of cash in the cash drawer at all times, including proper and accurate handling and reporting of cash to ensure end of day balancing.
- Balance cash drawer daily in accordance with specified cash balancing standards.
- Provide support as needed with answering email inquiries and processing mail.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Completion of high school education, with college degree preferred
- Two or more years of experience in handling large sums of money and negotiable instruments with a high level of accuracy, particularly in a cashier’s office or financial institution
- Experience closing and balancing cash drawers
- Strong customer service focus
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to a positive work environment; ability to work independently and in a team setting
- Excellent organizational skills, strong attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks with varied deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively communicate with a variety of individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to maintain composure and professionalism during difficult conversations
- Working knowledge of PCs and desktop software, preferably Microsoft Office Suite and Google Gmail
- Experience working with complex financial and administrative information systems (Oracle PeopleSoft helpful)
The University of Michigan, with an operating budget of $9 billion, is a leader in higher education. The Finance Division reports to the Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, and partners with the University community to provide the financial infrastructure essential to being one of the world’s greatest public Universities. We are comprised of several units including Treasury, Financial Operations, Procurement Services and Financial Analysis. Comprised of several distinct divisions, we share a common set of values and goals. For more information about the Finance Division, please go to www.finance.umich.edu.
We offer an extensive total compensation package including competitive pay, two for one retirement contribution, a variety of health insurance options, and a generous vacation plan. In addition, there are seven paid holidays and four paid season days.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.