How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
As the nation's largest public research university, we aim to catalyze, support and safeguard research at the University of Michigan. We are #1 in research volume among U.S. public universities with $1.62B in annual research expenditures and 2.8 million square feet of lab space. We are looking for someone to lead the central business operations team for the Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR) and its 20+ reporting departments and programs. You will report directly to the Vice President for Research and you will oversee financial planning and management, human resources, research administration, IT administration/security, and facility/space planning guidance for all OVPR departments and programs.
A full job description is available upon request and will be provided to candidates prior to an interview.
The Executive Director supports strategic planning efforts and works with our academic and administrative leaders to sustain and promote the research mission through thoughtful resource allocation and management. In this role, you will direct:
- OVPR Budget Process (OVPR and all reporting units) – Plan, direct and prepare recommendations for the VPR on the fiscal management and allocation of annual revenues exceeding $65 million.
- OVPR Financial Administration – Direct planning and continuous improvement efforts for financial administrative policy and procedure. Provide direct oversight to the Associate Director for Finance who has responsibility for managing daily financial administration activities of OVPR including purchasing, fund transfers, accounts payable, accounts receivable.
- OVPR Internal Control Environment – Direct the development of a strong internal control environment throughout OVPR, working with the Associate Director of Finance and other business functional leads to ensure a robust and accurate annual internal control gap analysis financial certification process.
- OVPR Human Resource Strategy/Programs – Direct planning and continuous improvement efforts for human resource administrative procedure. Provide direct oversight to the Associate Director of Human Resources who has responsibility for managing daily human resources operations.
- OVPR Research Administration – Direct planning and continuous improvement efforts for research administrative procedure (specific to OVPR). Provide direct oversight to the Associate Director for Research Administration who has responsibility for managing the daily research administration activities of OVPR and its reporting units.
- OVPR IT Administration and Security – Direct planning and continuous improvement efforts for information technology administrative procedure. Provide direct oversight to the Associate Director for IT Administration who has responsibility for managing relationships with central IT service and security organizations and managing daily operational issues.
- OVPR Space Planning and Management – Directs space planning and analysis efforts including the development of guidelines and communications with all UMOR units. Serves as the primary liaison to Office of Space Planning and Analysis in the Provost's Office.
- Bachelor's degree.
- At least 7 or more years of progressively responsible administrative experience in an organization with complex and diverse administrative operations.
- Extensive experience with financial management and budget preparation, including budget projection and planning.
- Experience with human resources management, grant administration, information technology planning. Knowledge of relevant policies and procedures.
- Significant experience leading teams with diverse skills and a passion for working across multiple teams in different disciplines and locations.
- Must bring a collaborative approach and a strong customer service orientation to unit oversight and management.
- Significant project management experience and the ability to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines.
- Significant experience in leading and managing change in an organization with multiple stakeholders.
- Experience communicating with large groups and diverse audiences.
- Strong analytical ability is required to gather and summarize information and address complex administrative issues. Attention to detail and dependability are essential.
- Advanced degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extensive knowledge of U-M policies and procedures related to personnel, financial, research and administrative management.
- Experience with comprehensive unit administration in a research or academic unit.
- Experience with administrative management within a shared services framework.
- Experience with the application of human resources policy within a unit administration context.
- Experience with sponsored research administration.
Benefits at the University of Michigan
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.