How to Apply
To apply for this position, please include a copy of your resume and cover letter (make this the first page of your resume) and click the Apply Now button above. (Your salary will be determined by your qualifications, experience, and education.)
Come join a team of passionate individuals at a non-profit serving Michigan’s public universities, colleges, K-12 organizations, libraries, state government, healthcare and other Michigan non-profit organizations for over 55 years!
Reporting to the Executive Director of Product Management, you will be an essential member of Merit Network's software development team, creating web applications, software tools, and integrations in support of large-scale Network, Security and Community services for the higher education and public sector community. A few examples include the Michigan Moonshot (https://www.merit.edu/community/moonshot/), Merit's CISO Scanner (https://www.merit.edu/security/ciso-scanner/), Merit RADb (http://radb.net/), and Merit's NetSuite ERP.
The team develops applications that enhance Merit's service offerings as well as to increase operational efficiency within Merit. The team works with internal customers to scope, develop, release, and continuously improve technology solutions. You will oversee application support and will work with customers to periodically review and further enhance applications. You will also be responsible for keeping Merit current with the latest technologies.
This will be an excellent opportunity for you to push the limits of current web technology and experiment with a variety of techniques, in order to build robust, enterprise-level solutions.
The team's current development stack consists of: Python, Django, React, and Oracle. Secondarily, the team also uses MySQL, PostgreSQL, Perl, and Mojolicious.
To learn more about Merit and our team, please visit our website: https://www.merit.edu
What You'll Do
Essential functions for this position are followed be an (E).
Approximately 65% of the Senior Developer’s time and duties are needed to:
- Evaluating requirements for new web-based applications and enhancements to existing applications (E)
- Developing, testing, and documenting web-based applications and supporting back-end systems (E)
- Working with APIs and other data sources to integrate with external systems (E)
- Support legacy applications (with an eye to replacing them with modernized solutions) (E)
Approximately 25% of the Senior Developer’s time and duties are needed to:
- Trouble ticket response and resolution (E)
Approximately 10% of the Senior Developer’s time and duties are needed to:
- Remain current on new programming technologies (E)
- Making recommendations on future technology direction (E)
- Assisting the team leadership in setting team strategy
Skills You Have
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, a related field, or an equivalent combination of education & experience
- 4+ years of relevant experience building similar types of systems
- Fluency in Python
- Experience with the Django framework
- Knowledge of revision control systems such as Git or Subversion
- Knowledge of shell scripting, Linux system utilities, network and application protocols
- Knowledge of the Atlassian Suite of products (Jira, BitBucket, Confluence)
- Solid SQL skills (Oracle, PostgreSQL, and/or MySQL)
- Great documentation skills
- Experience working with REST APIs
- Experience with full stack development
- Experience with Bulma, Webpack, React, Django Rest Framework, Docker
- Experience with testing best practices
- Object-Oriented Perl (Moose)
- Experience with NetSuite ERP
- DBI and DBlx::Class
- Mojolicious MVC framework
- REST API development experience
- Mobile app development experience
We are posting this position at the Senior level, but will consider filling it at the Intermediate level depending on the qualifications, experience, and education of the preferred candidates. (Your salary will be determined by your qualifications, experience, and education.)
We are committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support staff and their families. Learn more about our 2:1 retirement matching, healthcare plans with nationwide coverage including prescription drug coverage, multiple dental plans, a vision plan, flexible spending account, well-being programs, long-term disability, automatic life insurance, general legal services, multiple early childhood centers, time away from work and work-life programs to promote balance. Learn more at http://careers.umich.edu/benefits/
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee (with or without accommodations) to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Employee must frequently work at computer station, answer telephone calls, emails, and/or other forms of customer/client communication.
Some local, state-wide, and occasional nation-wide travel to attend off-site meetings, conferences, and events may be required.
The University of Michigan/Merit Network conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third-party administrator to conduct background checks in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for at least seven (7) calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
- If you have any questions regarding this job, please visit our website: https://www.merit.edu/about/careers/
- If you need assistance completing this application, please call (734) 615-2000, option 1
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.