Clicking "Apply Now" opens the link in a new window.
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
As the Meetings and Special Events Assistant you will work within the UU Operations team and report to the Manager of Event Operations. You will help maintain operational excellence in all aspects of our guest services, event set up and audio-visual equipment. You will establish a positive working environment with our guests and resident departments and act as a liaison with other vendors or UM departments. Additionally, you will assist with the hiring and supervising of our student staff and help develop and work within the approved budget for temporary labor, small equipment and other purchases related to the audiovisual budget.
What You'll Do
Manager on Duty and Event Execution (40%)
- Provide building coverage as Manager on Duty, performing hourly rounds of the building
- Assist with maintaining a safe, secure environment for all facility users and address immediate maintenance and custodial concerns
- Deliver, set up, test, operate audiovisual equipment & furnishings for meetings and events
- Meet clients to ensure event needs and expectations are met
Audiovisual Oversight (20%)
- Inventory, service and maintain current AV equipment and furnishings
- Provide recommendations for AV equipment additions to better serve our guests based on new trends in AV and Digital Media
Student Employee Supervision and Development (30%)
- Hire, train, and schedule student staff
- Help with student recognition and development opportunities
- Participate in Student Life/ University Unions planning/guiding teams
- Other tasks as assigned
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- 2 or more years of related experience
- Specialized knowledge of how to use and troubleshoot audiovisual equipment (sound systems, microphones, data projectors, video conferencing, computers)
- Experience working in building management, hospitality or in a conference facility
- Previous management experience
- Familiarity with higher education organization procedures
- Experience with Google applications or Crestron systems
- Ability to navigate change, lead a team and work together with multiple departments while delivering excellent customer service.
- You have a commitment to diversity and an understanding of cultural, ethnic and individual differences.
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off, including family leave
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
- Professional development opportunities through U-M Student Life and related professional associations
By working as the Meetings and Special Events Assistant, you'll join the University Unions community which employs over 50 regular staff and over 250 student staff across three student union facilities and related departments. Through our programs, services, and spaces, University Unions is a catalyst for connection and learning that cultivates community and belonging at the University of Michigan and beyond. As a unit, we are committed to building and sustaining a diverse, inclusive, and equitable community and seek to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitments.
Minimum Hiring Salary is $38,100. Starting salary may vary depending on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
This role may have reporting obligations under Title IX and Clery.
Relocation will not be offered for this position.
Please click here for the full position description.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.