This job opening is for a Unit-Based Temporary RN position in the 7 East Mott acute pediatric hematology, oncology and bone marrow transplant unit.
* Please note that these positions do not qualify for UMHS benefits and specific terms and conditions of employment are negotiated at the department level.
These positions are not covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the University of Michigan and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U of M Professional Nurse Council.
* In addition:
Unit- based temporary employees who have worked 400 hours in a calendar year then become a Per Diem employee and have an obligation to pay dues or service fees as covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the University of Michigan and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U of M Professional Nurse Council.
* Once the employee meets the 400 hour threshold, they then are a union member for the duration of employment as Per Diem.
Temporary APRN employees and MVC temporary employees are not eligible for Per Diem status.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Provide safe and effective nursing care as assigned to a varied patient population.
Participate as a member of the collaborative health team. Work closely with patients and family members.
7 EAST MOTT is a 32 bed acute pediatric hematology, oncology and bone marrow transplant unit. Patients range in age from newborn to young adulthood. Patient diagnoses include sickle cell anemia, leukemia, lymphoma and solid tumors. Ongoing education includes a Chemotherapy Certification course, and an eight-day Bone Marrow Transplant course.
Nursing Specific Info
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
Current licensure to practice nursing in the state of Michigan.
NOTE: In order to be considered for this position the applicant must have met or will have met all the required qualifications prior to the start date of employment.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
Current Chemo Certification
Hours: As needed for staffing
Shift: Day/Night rotation
Location: C.S. Mott Children's Hospital-7 East, Pediatric Cancer Unit
PER DIEM/UNIT-BASED TEMPORARY NURSE GUIDELINES
1. Each Per Diem or unit-based temporary employee working three or more shifts per scheduling period will be scheduled to work a minimum of two weekend shifts per scheduling period (8 hours = 1 shift). The contractual definition of a weekend applies for Per Diem or unit-based temporary employees.*
Per Diem or unit-based temporary nurses who preschedule two or fewer shifts per scheduling period do not have to meet the weekend requirements.
They may add additional UNANTICIPATED SHIFTS ONLY.
2. Each Per Diem or unit-based temporary nurse will be expected to work a portion of scheduled shifts on off shifts (recommended guide: 25%).
3. Managers may establish additional guidelines based upon individual unit scheduling requirements. Therefore, it is recommended that managers and per diem nurses or unit-based temporary meet to discuss specific unit
4. Each Per Diem or unit-based temporary nurse will be scheduled to work the number of shifts during holiday weeks that reflects his/her normal scheduling pattern. Per Diem or unit-based temporary nurses should be scheduled to work shifts during three out of the six holiday weeks and one of these weeks should be Christmas or New Year's week. (A week is defined as Sunday through Saturday during which the holiday falls).
Per Diem or unit-based temporary nurses are to be scheduled after all regular staff are scheduled per contract language.
*Guidelines apply to all Per Diem or unit-based temporary nurses regardless of hire date.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan and to maintain the excellence of the University. We welcome applications from anyone who would bring additional dimensions to the University’s research, teaching, and clinical mission, including women, members of minority groups, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. The Department of Nursing, like the University of Michigan as a whole, is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons and will not discriminate against any individual because of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.