Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings
Basic Function and Responsibility
- Under the supervision of a Registered Nurse, assist in the care of the childbearing mother and newborn.
- Assist in the maintenance of a safe, supportive family-centered environment that supports patient needs.
- Coordinate and assist the pediatric team in the performance of newborn circumcision procedures, including management of procedural instruments and procedure room.
- Perform delegated tasks for maintenance of equipment and supplies for emergencies and routine care in VVWH.
- Perform delegated clinical and laboratory procedures on the childbearing mother and newborn, including specimen transport.
- Assist with admit, transfer, and discharge procedures.
- Maintain cleanliness and tidiness of patient care space and equipment including stocking areas.
- Must be able to perform a wide range of physical activities which include moving, standing for long periods of time, transporting and positioning patients and equipment as well as constantly positioning self to provide patient care and related duties.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a part of a team in addition to being able to take direction.
- Communicate with patients, families and staff in a welcoming, caring and professional manner.
- Understands and demonstrates the core concepts of Patient and Family Centered Care (PFCC), including: Respect and Dignity, Information Sharing, Participation and Collaboration.
- Develop and recommend changes in patient care activities to improve the quality of patient care services.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
High school diploma, GED or equivalent, ability to read and write, and one of the following:
- Junior status in an accredited BSN program
- 2nd year in accredited ADN program
- Bachelor’s Degree in Applied Medical Science
- 1-year recent experience (within 1 year) in an unlicensed assistive role in a patient care setting, such as nurse aide in a hospital setting, nursing home or other health care environment
Basic computer skills
Certified as a Nurse Aide (CNA, Patient Care Technician (CPCT/A), or Medical Assistant (CCMA)
Course work in an Allied Health field
7p - 730a
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.