The Patient Technology Specialist will act as a support to the Child and Family Life Team and report directly to The Manager of Patient Technology. The Patient Technology Specialist will be implementing, trouble shooting, and maintaining recreational technology based activities with patients and families.
The Patient Technology Specialist will be tasked with providing patients with digital therapeutic experiences. This can include playing video games with patients at bedside, guiding staff on appropriate use of gaming technology, facilitating online and in person group gaming social events, and educating staff, patients, and parents about current gaming trends and technology. They will keep up to date on the latest technology and help clinicians use video game technology in their therapeutic practices. The Patient Technology Specialist must be comfortable working with patients of all ages and abilities. They will help maintain all digital gaming equipment in the Patient Technology Program. They must have the ability to work flexible hours.
60% Bedside therapeutic digital media experiences
- The Patient Technology Specialist will provide digital media experiences for patients and families in activity centers, special events, and at bedside. The experiences may include but are not limited to traditional gaming, filming and recording, VR, AR, social media tutorials, basic toy robotic engineering (Legos).
- Provide technology assistance to OT, PT, Recreation Therapy and Child Life during therapeutic interventions using VR, gaming, and creative technologies. This includes procedural support and scheduled therapeutic sessions.
- Will create programming and special events/activities for various age groups to take place in activity centers and at hospital wide events.
- Will assist patients with setting up their own gaming equipment in their hospital rooms.
- Help supervise gaming volunteers and students
20% Research and maintenance
- Research upcoming technologies and maintain current gaming equipment including but not limited to all gaming consoles, technology in child life spaces, bedside iPads and gaming consoles, video recording and streaming technologies.
15% Educate Staff about upcoming technology processes
- Includes one on one and group presentations to multidisciplinary staff.
5% Other duties as assigned
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings
- Provide patients with bedside interactive gaming experiences
- Maintaining equipment including VR cart and video game lending cart
- Assist staff with game console and tablet related issues
- Help train volunteers, interns, and vendors
- Assist other medical staff with recreational technology based interventions
- Help film and produce videos for Mott TV
- Assist staff in producing digital educational content
- Help patients use digital media for creative purposes
- Create, run, and coordinate gaming events in hospital activity rooms and public spaces
- Educate staff about incoming recreational technologies
- Must be flexible with schedule
- Associates degree in related field and/or a combination of education and experience
- Knowledgeable of current digital gaming hardware and software
- Experience with VR and AR technology
- Knowledge of iOS, Android, and Windows based devices
- Experience working with children ages 2-26
- Experience working in a hospital setting with patients and families
- Experience working with people in high stress situations
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Certified Recreation Therapist or Certified Child Life Specialist preferred
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.