How to Apply
Candidates should submit the following as one document:
1. Cover Letter / Letter of interest
3. One page statement that discusses/shares a recent experience; what was learned from this experience, and what you did with what you learned.
In order for the Career Portal system to accept a cover letter and one page statement, please include these as a page of your resume document.
THIS IS A PART-TIME 30 HRS/WEEK (MONDAY - FRIDAY) POSITION
Provide administrative support of a highly responsible, sensitive and confidential nature to the Office of the Dean in the School of Social Work.
Provide administrative support to the Office of the Dean in the School of Social Work. Perform routine tasks including, but not limited to, welcoming and assisting visitors, answering calls and forwarding email inquiries, handling mail, routing materials, and providing backup support. Assist the executive assistant to the dean with a variety of tasks including, but not limited to, the following:
- Managing meetings: Duties include calling for agenda items, assembling meeting materials, distributing materials, attending meetings, taking minutes, tracking action-items, and/or filing meeting minutes.
- Event planning and coordination: Duties include reserving conference rooms and event spaces, obtaining menu options for special events, polling for availability, suggesting team-building activities, procuring necessary materials.
- Travel coordination: Duties include coordinating travel arrangements, creating itineraries, and/or creating expense reports for dean and special visitors.
- Writing: Duties include obtaining information, creating letters, memos and emails for review, and assisting with proofreading.
- Information management: Duties include creating surveys, and data analysis and representation. Preparing descriptive data reports from spreadsheet and database information.
- Faculty recruitment: Duties include submitting job postings to online sources, scheduling interviews, coordinating travel, organizing materials, reserving hotel rooms and conference spaces, sharing materials, sending follow up communications, and other related tasks.
- Purchasing: Duties include making and reconciling purchases.
- Other: Duties may include collaborating with others to ensure effective communications and workflow, assisting with special projects, other duties as assigned, handling mail and routing materials.
School of Social Work Mission Statement:
Advancing the social work profession’s vision and values, the University of Michigan School of Social Work seeks to develop a more equitable, caring, and socially just society. Such a society meets basic human needs, eliminates social and economic inequities, and empowers individuals, their communities, and institutions to reach their aspirations and potential. Drawing on an interdisciplinary faculty within a public university seated in a region of enormous need and promise, the School is dedicated to education, research, and service that fosters progressive change at local, national, and global levels.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least two years of administrative support experience or the combination of education and experience that enable the performance of all aspects of this position.
- Ability and commitment to working with a diverse community of students, faculty, staff and visitors.
- Proven ability to pay meticulous attention to detail and consistently produce accurate work.
- Excellent computer skills including proficiency with Microsoft Word and Google Docs, and the ability to learn software applications quickly.
- Proficiency with Google applications (Doc, Sheets, Slides, Forms)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience with database utilization (i.e., Filemaker Pro, Airtable , Microsoft Access)
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, work independently and collaboratively, and to exercise initiative as a critical member of a small team.
- Ability to use sound judgment and diplomacy and manage confidential information.
- A commitment to exceptional service.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate projects and carry them through to completion.
- The flexibility to change focus and priorities quickly.
- Previous experience working in higher education.
- Experience with University of Michigan policies and procedures
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Application Deadline - In order to receive full consideration for your application, please submit your bid within the first seven calendar days of this posting. UM job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days and the SSW may start the review/selection process as early as the eighth day after posting. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.