Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings
To provide primary care to patients and families in Geriatrics Clinic at Michigan Medicine.
- Supervision of professional nursing practice is received from the Nurse Manager for the Internal Medicine clinics
- Supervision for delegated medical functions is received from designated physicians and the Medical Director at the clinic
- Independently provide primary care for a geriatric patient panel (independent clinic visits, telehealth visits, and portal messaging) in collaboration with a physician
- Shared primary Care (independent clinic visits, telehealth visits, and portal messaging) in collaboration with 1 or more physicians
- Provide direct patient care/ foot care clinics
- Performs geriatric foot care clinic weekly
- Communicate plan of care to referring physicians and other health care providers to ensure collaboration and safe patient hand offs
- Provide and document patient and family education plans
- Incorporate clinical evidence-based guidelines findings into clinical practice and integrate quality assurance into practice improvements
- Serve on clinical committees as appropriate
Education and Professional Development
- Participate in the education of health care professionals and students through mentoring, participating in in services, seminars, and formal presentations
- Participate in professional activities that contribute to the advancement of the NP profession, such as professional associations and publications
- Develop one’s own clinical knowledge and skills through continuing education programs, course work and reading professional literature
- Participate in one’s own performance evaluation and establishment of plans for self-development and learning
- Abide by the standards of care and standards of practice established by Michigan Medicine, University of Michigan
- Practice within the regulations of the Michigan Public Health Code
Nursing Specific Info
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position. Posting may be filled after the initial 5-day posting period. Applicants who have left the UMPNC bargaining unit must include on their resume dates of past employment including months and years of service along with effort. Positions less than 20 hours/week may be combined. If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
- Current licensure as a Nurse Practitioner in the State of Michigan.
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse and Nurse Practitioner specialty certification in the State of Michigan.
- Current specialty certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner, Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner or Acute Care Nurse Practitioner.
- Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program.
- Certification as a Nurse Practitioner recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
- Current DEA registration required
- At least (1) year of Geriatric NP experience within the last five years.
- At least (1) year of outpatient NP clinic experience
* Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
* Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- Focused work experience with dementia patients
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively in a multidisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated high level of critical thinking
- Experience in working with patients and families with multiple chronic diseases and their self- management.
- Demonstrated partnership and leadership with members of the health care team in current chronic care initiatives as validated by performance evaluations and references.
- Experience as participant in continuous quality improvement.
- Familiarity with patient and family issues which occur across the spectrum of Alzheimer’s disease and non-Alzheimer’s dementia.
- Demonstrated excellent teaching abilities.
- Experience with Electronic Medical Record
Hours/Week: 40 hours/week
Shift/Hours/Days: Day Shift 8 hrs
Location: Geriatric Clinic, East Ann Arbor Health Center
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U-M Professional Nurse Council union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Advanced Practice Nursing opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. For a current listing of all open APRN job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, please visit www.UMnursing.org.
Michigan Medicine seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan and to maintain the excellence of the University. We welcome applications from anyone who would bring additional dimensions to the University’s research, teaching, and clinical mission, including women, members of minority groups, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Michigan Medicine, like the University of Michigan as a whole, is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons and will not discriminate against any individual because of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.