How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Information and Technology Services (ITS) at the University of Michigan has an exciting opportunity for a Desktop Support Specialist Associate working with ITS Support Services - MiWorkspace. This position provides internal and customer-facing Tier 2 technical support for daily operations in a complex, distributed computing environment. Performs a broad range of IT support services for Windows and Mac devices - desktops, laptops and mobile (iOS/Android) - printing, hardware and software installation and troubleshooting, asset management and general network support. Work assignments include resolving incidents and requests on-campus and remotely via phone/chat as part of Front Line Support (FLS), handling escalations, and assisting on projects.
The qualified individual will demonstrate the ability to provide excellent customer services to all constituencies, collaborate with team members and customers and contribute to efforts to develop, design, implement, and continuously improve service. May require on-call availability and working during non-business hours and on weekends. This position will report to a Desktop Support Manager or Supervisor in MiWorkspace Neighborhood IT.
Who We Are
ITS supports U-M faculty, researchers, staff, and students in their use of technology to teach, learn, research, and work, and be leaders in their fields. We are dedicated to creating cohesive digital experiences and enabling university wide innovations by:
Elevating the customer experience by providing proactive, laser focused customer service
Providing appropriate IT security and privacy in an open university society, while enabling innovation
Supporting data-informed decision making
Delivering intuitive research computing solutions
Building a world-class, transformational network and reliable administrative systems
In addition, we value those that proactively solve challenges, work with a sense of urgency, and seek a collaborative and inclusive work environment.
ITS’s mission is to be trusted enablers of technology for the U-M community. ITS works together to provide cohesive digital experiences and seamless support to the U-M community. To learn more, visit: its.umich.edu.
WHO YOU ARE
You are energized by working with a collaborative team and industry peers to support the university mission through innovative and appropriate use of technology. You seek understanding and to tackle projects and problems with your customers’ needs in mind. You anticipate problems and work proactively to preempt challenges and concerns, delivering increasingly relevant customer experiences over time. You value a culture that is rooted in mutual respect, where you can learn from different perspectives, roles, and identities.
You have at least one year of IT experience in a related role requiring confidentiality, timeliness, customer service, organization, prioritization, troubleshooting, and working independently to successfully install, configure, maintain, and support Windows and/or Mac desktop operating systems and software.
Actively collaborates with team members and other service support groups to effectively resolve incidents and requests. Provides Tier 2 technical support and service restoration, in-person or remotely via phone/chat (FLS), for daily operations and assists with project efforts. Follows procedures and guidelines to install, configure, customize, troubleshoot, upgrade, integrate and maintain systems, software, workstations, printers, wireless devices, handheld devices, peripherals, network and port configuration, host-based firewalls. Supports and collaborates with team members and other technical staff. Promotes understanding with customers on the benefits of the IT service provider model to help foster collaboration.
- Demonstrates quality service and accountability in the process of: resolving incidents; and, tracking computer systems and device inventory, resulting in accurate, timely and efficient solutions and data as evidenced by: meeting customer needs; meeting or exceeding established performance metrics and accurate data for asset management.
- Proactively seeks information and utilizes analytical and creative problem solving skills along with standard processes and technologies resulting in secure and reliable connections to and use of systems, applications and infrastructure.
- Demonstrates relationship building, effective communication skills and quality service in the process of collaborating with, supporting, advising and educating customers and team members on the use of services, handling of sensitive data and resolving incidents.
Contributes to hardware, software and services enhancements by identifying when established procedures are not working and there are gaps in processes and makes recommendations for improvements. Develops and edits customer and technical support knowledge base documentation.
- Demonstrates relationship building and effective communication skills as a member of the ITS organization, working in a school/college/unit, through active listening and frequent communication with department staff, resulting in understanding customer needs, creating buy-in for enhancements and collaboration with department staff.
- Demonstrates quality service by actively contributing to customer satisfaction through advocating for customer needs, escalating incidents and requests and increasing the customer’s ability to help themselves, resulting in meeting or exceeding customer satisfaction metrics.
- Utilizes analytical and communication skills in the development and modification of written procedures, processes and technical support knowledge base, resulting in content tailored to the level and type of audience for support and issue resolution.
DEVELOPMENT OF SELF AND OTHERS
Stays current with relevant advances in technologies. Responsible for maintaining and updating knowledge of IT policies and procedures, hardware, software and technical services which can include: on-the-job training, attending technical courses or conferences, reading, research and testing. Develops and follows best practices and procedures and shares knowledge with team members. Mentors staff.
- Demonstrates skill development by actively participating in growth opportunities for continuous development and improvement and applying new skills and knowledge to the job as evidenced by the ability to efficiently and effectively perform assigned duties, resulting in meeting or exceeding customer expectations and performance metrics.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills when providing training and mentoring to lesser-experienced staff, resulting in staff and teams using and implementing the latest policies, procedures and best practices to accomplish tasks.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, business computing or a related field, or equivalent combination of education, certification, and experience.
- A minimum of one (1) year of IT experience in a related role requiring confidentiality, timeliness, customer service, organization, prioritization, troubleshooting and working independently to successfully install, configure, maintain and support Windows and/or Mac desktop operating systems and software
- Demonstrated familiarity with some of the following technologies: Windows 10, Mac OS, web browsers, local account management, and software installation and removal.
- Familiarity with current general computer applications (e.g. Microsoft Office, Google suite, etc.).
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated effective creative problem solving and flexibility when collaborating with customers, team members support teams, external vendors, and technical organizations to understand, advocate for, evaluate, and support enhancements, resulting in plans and services that leverage the capabilities of existing technology and meet customer and organizational expectations.
- Demonstrated effective verbal communication skills including strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively through all levels of management and matrix organizations
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers in a manner that consistently meets the organization’s expectations for exemplary customer service.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and independent problem-solving skills
- Ability to influence others in the building and maintaining consensual approach with a wide array of diverse business interests
- Demonstrated strong utilization of Enterprise Level System management tools and processes in a 3000+ client environment.
- Experience providing IT support in a Higher Education environment.
- Experience providing executive desktop and remote support.
- Experience with tools for managing local profiles, command line, ticketing systems, and general system management tools.
- Experience providing executive desktop and remote support.
This position may work with and/or support systems that maintain or process sensitive institutional data as defined by university policy. Successful candidates must comply with federal, state and local law and/or university policies or agreements that require the university to implement specific privacy and security safeguards including, but not limited to: ITAR, EAR, HIPAA and FISMA. Responsible for protecting data and information from unauthorized release or from loss, alteration or unauthorized deletion; and, following applicable regulations and instructions regarding access to computerized files, release of data, etc. as stated in a computer access agreement.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
Responsible for protecting data and information from unauthorized release or from loss, alteration, or unauthorized deletion; and, following applicable regulations and instructions regarding access to computerized files, release of data, etc. as stated in a computer access agreement.
- May require on-call availability and may require working during non-business hours and on weekends
- Punctual, regular and consistent attendance is required
- Normal amount of sitting, average mobility to move around an office environment; able to conduct normal amount of work at a computer
- May require to travel to various locations on and off campus; and, moves throughout buildings to provide support and deliver/retrieve computer hardware and parts.
- Periodically moves boxes and computer equipment weighing up to 50 lbs across campus and/or within buildings while utilizing proper safety techniques.
- Positions self to install computer equipment, including under desks.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan Benefits Office is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more about our 2:1 retirement matching, healthcare plans with nationwide coverage including prescription drug coverage, three dental plans, a vision plan, flexible spending account, well-being programs, long-term disability, automatic life insurance, general legal services, three early childhood centers, time away from work and work-life programs to promote balance. Learn more at hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness
- The University of Michigan is ranked the No. 3 public university in the 2020 U.S. News & World Report’s annual report of the nation’s best undergraduate colleges and universities.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 6 on Kiplinger’s list of Best Values in Public Colleges, again making U-M one of the nation’s best values in higher education for in-state students. The ranking highlights colleges and universities that combine outstanding education with economic value.
- For the third straight year, the University of Michigan maintained its position as the 15th top university in the world, according to the Times Higher Education World Reputation Rankings.
- The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the top U.S. public university in the QS World University Rankings for 2019-20 and ranked 21st among all institutions on the list, moving down one spot from last year in the ranking released Tuesday, 06/18/2019.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.